One bed flat, electricity only huge bill

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average hill for a one bed flat with just electricity is?

I've bee in a constant battle with Npower as I do not believe my bill is correct £155 per month. They have just told me that next year my annual usage is looking to be £1870.

1 bedroom, modest kitchen, bathroom abd bedroom, fairly large lounge but not huge.
Storage heaters that only got fixed last month, before then never had them during the 2 years I've lived here. Water heater which is on for an hour a day. Smallish fridge freezer, generic items anyone would have. Not excessively used. Two loads of washing on average a week. Newish products (all A rated energy).

It just seems absolutely mental. When I put what we use into some providers the monthly cost is as low as 38 rising to 50 with others. Even on npowers most expensive tariff it would still be 79 they suggest for our flat.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,520
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you checked if the meter might be faulty?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • As you have storage heaters are you on economy 7? Day rate is much dearer than night so you need to make sure you don't over do your day usage and do what you can after the rate changes (washing machine and water on a timer, storage heaters overnight etc). Apologies if you're already doing this. Check yor meter switches over at the right time too.
  • I have asked Npower to come out and have a look. It seems the bills have got higher since the new meter was installed (which was installed to have economy 7 which answers the next question)

Npower refuse to come out and have said the meter is absolutely fine.
  • Sorry maybe stupid, but how would I check the meter switches over at night? Just check the correct reading is going up?

Don't overdo the day at all, for the vast majority we are out at 6am and don't return until about 7pm most nights (apart from weekends but we are out a good chunk then also).

Aye do all washing etc at night as I like to leave them out overnight.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    My combined gas and electricty bill is 115 pounds per month. 3 bed detached. Two of us home all day. Your 155 pm is ridiculously high. I have a washing machine, say about seven loads p.week, dishwasher on once a day. House is never cold and it's a 1950s house and no cavity wall so not well insulated.
  • Not gonna lie, £115 would be a dream at the moment.

Literally sit in the cold because we are afraid to put the heating on
  • David check when your e7 cheap rate should kick in. Mine was midnight -7am so I'd set washing for 4am and hang it up in the morning. Yes look at the dials to see which one is going up, I used to hear mine click over if I was still awake!
    Is your water tank on a timer as well? We had a boost we could use during the day but I rarely did.
    We (2 adults) had a 2 bed terraced, empty loft, no insulation/cavity wall. Out 7am-6pm. No gas at all and I even had plug in oil heaters as the storage heaters were awful and badly placed. No shower just a bath, less than £60pm with eon.
  • Okay so seems we aren't using the washing machine during the E7 period, doubt that would cost that much more.
    Yeah I have a timer on the storage heater, clicks on at 4am and shuts off at 5am. Double checked that the other week as wanted to make sure it wasn't during the day, all good though.

Do have an electric shower though, roughly 20 min use a day whilst still on E7 tariff.
  • That should say timer on storage tank, not heater.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Maybe you could switch everything off, including fridge, tv, broadband router, absolutely everything and then watch the meter. It should not be registering any usage at all. That's the first thing I would do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure