MSE News: Facebook app user? Beware big bills as videos automatically play

f you've experienced higher than usual bills, check your Facebook settings as it could be down to its video auto-play...
Read the full story:

Facebook app user? Beware big bills as videos automatically play

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Samsung S3 using facebook app does not show "only ... with wi-if" under app settings general settings
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I went over my 750mb allowance for the first time on Vodafone in July, and have done again in August. I suspected this Facebook issue was part of the reason, and fortunately someone showed me the other day how to change the settings.

Not only is the Facebook feature annoying because of using up your data, but it makes your news feed 'judder' as it's scrolling, and often ends up making me inadvertently load a video in full screen that I had no intention of watching.

Hint for Vodafone customers: If you realise that you are going to go over your allowance on, say, day 24 of your billing month, ask for the '£6.50 for 1gb' add-on, but ask for it to be automatically cancelled at your next billing date. When I did this, they pro-rated it for the remaining days over the month from when I requested it, so it was only a couple of quid for stress-free browsing for the next week.
  • Get unlimited data on Three - never worry about things like this again. :D
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    VT82 wrote: »
    ask for the '£6.50 for 1gb' add-on,

Jeez, if that isn't enough proof of how Vodafone rip off their contract customers.:mad:
    ====
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    d123 wrote: »
    Jeez, if that isn't enough proof of how Vodafone rip off their contract customers.:mad:
    The pay as you go price for exceeding your data (without opting in to the add-on) is £6.50 for 250mb!
  • luvsnail wrote: »
    Get unlimited data on Three - never worry about things like this again. :D

Great idea - unless you want a signal indoors.

Or in rural areas.

Or in semi rural areas.

Or in small villages, coastal areas, under bridges, when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, when the wind is blowing in the right direction......
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Or don't use the facebook app, and use a browser where you can control what happens.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    have a look at my posts, we found this months ago with the facebook app
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    chanz4 wrote: »
    have a look at my posts, we found this months ago with the facebook app

Yes BUT it appears to have reset with the latest App update.

I switched off video autoplay a few months ago as a result of either reading it on here or reading it in someone's FB status. My FB app updated last weekend, and I noticed that video autoplay had been switched on again after the update.

So you need to re-check and keep an eye on this.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes BUT it appears to have reset with the latest App update.

That's interesting because i have only just updated my FB app and it is still set to off after the update.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport