Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Where do the millionaires live?

wadewade
wadewade Posts: 735
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
As an "Hon. Treasurer" of a disabled charity, I'm always looking for wealthy people to whom I can send an appeal letter. The Sunday Times today publishes it's Rich List of really rich people some of whom do help charities to quite a large extent. Obviously, it must help if your charity is local to them - so my question is this "How can you locate the rich people in your area (Wiltshire and Bath in my case) as most of them like to keep a very low profile?"

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,820
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why do you think they are millionaires? Often because they are good at earning, and keeping, their money. (Bill Gates is a notable exception, and gives away staggering amounts via his Foundation...).

John
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Identify the poshest looking houses in your town and print out a leaflet to drop through their letter boxes? :confused:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How about Cheshire,watch out for the dogs,and footballs
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try looking in the local paper house for sale ads. Where are the dearest houses? Odds are it will be the richest people living there?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Your first step would be to identify these people first of all! For that I would research local businesses and identify which are doing especially well. You can find out directors identities via companies house. Also look in the local papers and keep cuttings about local "celebs" or high profile persons. Buy the papers every week, they are a gold mine of information.

The idea about keeping cuttings and accumulating info about a person is to get some insight into what interests them and also to find out if they already publically support some other charity. You should also glean some other useful information, eg something like the fact that they have an autistic child, or if they are immigrants, or anything like that which fills in a bit of background. Obviously anything which could link them to your charity in some way eg a disabled relative would give you something to catch their interest.

You can check Who's Who for addresses - it's surprising how much info is in who's who. Also look in de Brett's - similar to Who's Who but is a bit less stuffy. It often has addresses in it. They should both be available in your local library.

Finally, I would say that people give to people. A letter to a wealthy person is all well and good, but they more than likely get a high number of begging letters. You need to set yourself apart from the crowd. If you actually catch their interest and show that you are relevant to them and their own or a family member's life, or employee's life etc etc, then a meeting between them and someone high up in your organisation to ask for their support would likely be more successful than a letter. A letter may not get past a secretary, spouse, housekeeper etc - more likely to end up in a bin than produce a fat cheque.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
  • badger._2
    badger._2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Somewhere, online, there must be a directory of celebrity addresses. Just think of the maps you get in America, they direct you to their bloody home!

Total Badger Debt: £1675.44.

Barclaycard - £216.44
    First Direct - £500.00
    HSBC - £949.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business