Halifax mortgage PPI

Comments

• It's a fact there is no signed agreement form for a tmp policy. I'm not sure why your not understanding. I've actually sold these policies previously. The policies started around 2001 replacing the old MRI policies with the Halifax. Is there anyone else on here who has sold these policies for Halifax in the past... Please join this conversation.. am I still saying 'silly' things? Anyway back to the point. A credible customer testimony will ALWAYS outweigh any TMP documentation as there is no guarantee the customer recieved the documents as again and I keep repeating, the documents are not signed or dated hence they are not used for evidencing either consent or optionality. Unless the sale was post around 2006 where there is a mention of optionality in the welcome docs. Even this is not weighty evidence though when assessing the overall complaint. There may be other evidence pointing to a discussion around the optional nature of the tmp policy for example a tailored policy which evidences some aspects were declined such as life or cic therefore an awareness that the policy is not compulsory.
  • AdamJones wrote: »
    It's a fact
    Sorry, but your posts currently have no credibility.

Anyone can claim they sold these policies, you understand?

Make credible posts and we will support you...
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Even if no docs exist (although FOS are firmly of the opinion that such policies are optional and treated as such) - credible testimony does not stand up as testimony from 15 years ago cannot be considered reliable.

As I already said, merely remembering who may have sold it (which could well appear on all paperwork have kept so not memory) is not sufficient to make such a testimony credible.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February 2019 at 10:46AM
    It's a fact there is no signed agreement form for a tmp policy

Not that one is required. Most insurances for over a decade have been paper free.
    A credible customer testimony will ALWAYS outweigh any TMP documentation as there is no guarantee the customer recieved the documents as again and I keep repeating

If that was the case, Halifax would be upholding every single case going. Whilst they were an easy touch at the height of PPI complaining, they have tightened up in the last year or two. Especially on MPPI.

The vast majority of these complaints and the outcomes fall back to an assessment on suitability and financial need rather than alleged conversations. A credible complainant can come into play. It just isn't that common.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I agree most complaints are defended. I'm not disagreeing on this point. However the person who made the post said they had a good recollection of the sale. If they do turn out to be credible to the bank, and the bank have ways of measuring credibility the customer testimony will outweigh the quote pack and welcome docs which are posted to the customer at POS. p.s it's very rare for a complaint to be upheld for optionality as the customer has to recall exactly why they feel they had to take the policy and furthermore what the adviser SAID to make them feel they had to take it. The usual reply of 'because it was advised' is simply nowhere near good enough.

On a side note I've heard of redundancy claims being rejected as the customer cannot claim JSA due to the payout they recieved from their employer. So for example the customer recieving 20k from redundancy then going to claim on the ppi policy. Then being told they must evidence JSA. However when going to claim JSA they realise they cannot because of the redundancy payout they recieved and therefore they cannot claim on the policy! This is not something which is looked at via suitability tests when reviewing ppi complaints. Really should be though. Just looked at gov website and it states savings of 16000 or more means you cannot claim JSA. This is something which has TOTALLY been missed by banks when reviewing ppi complaints.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AdamJones wrote: »
    I agree most complaints are defended. I'm not disagreeing on this point. However the person who made the post said they had a good recollection of the sale. If they do turn out to be credible to the bank, and the bank have ways of measuring credibility the customer testimony will outweigh the quote pack and welcome docs which are posted to the customer at POS. p.s it's very rare for a complaint to be upheld for optionality as the customer has to recall exactly why they feel they had to take the policy and furthermore what the adviser SAID to make them feel they had to take it. The usual reply of 'because it was advised' is simply nowhere near good enough.

On a side note I've heard of redundancy claims being rejected as the customer cannot claim JSA due to the payout they recieved from their employer. So for example the customer recieving 20k from redundancy then going to claim on the ppi policy. Then being told they must evidence JSA. However when going to claim JSA they realise they cannot because of the redundancy payout they recieved and therefore they cannot claim on the policy! This is not something which is looked at via suitability tests when reviewing ppi complaints. Really should be though. Just looked at gov website and it states savings of 16000 or more means you cannot claim JSA. This is something which has TOTALLY been missed by banks when reviewing ppi complaints.

You've heard wrong, you don't need to be receiving JSA money to claim on a PPI policy. You can 'sign on' for your NI contributions and claim on the PPI policy. I was made redundant in 2006 had £50k + in savings, received contribution based JSA for six months plus my PPI policy paid out for two years covering my mortgage and some of my other living expenses...it was a godsend.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree most complaints are defended. I'm not disagreeing on this point. However the person who made the post said they had a good recollection of the sale. If they do turn out to be credible to the bank, and the bank have ways of measuring credibility the customer testimony will outweigh the quote pack and welcome docs which are posted to the customer at POS. p.s it's very rare for a complaint to be upheld for optionality as the customer has to recall exactly why they feel they had to take the policy and furthermore what the adviser SAID to make them feel they had to take it. The usual reply of 'because it was advised' is simply nowhere near good enough.

Holy moly will you stop repeating this nonsense.

There is ZERO weight to someone's memory of an incident vs paperwork because there is zero evidence to support it
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

I wrote a reply but got disconnected and lost it. So, a short reply instead.

No issue here at all. In all these cases of confusion, it is PILON that has caused it. PILON means you are technically employed to an end date and cannot sign on until that date. PILON is part of a package but is not actual redundancy. Redunancy pay has no impact on PPI or the ability to sign on.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for clearing up the JSA part. The only reason I mentioned it is because I know someone who had a claim declined because he couldn't claim JSA due to recieving redundancy. Nazqueron I think your referring to ppi complaints in general. With TMP the welcome docs are unsigned they hold zero to little weight to be honest, you can ring Halifax and ask them. There's no other documentation for TMP. You've read my previous post I'm guessing. So you know I've sold these policies previously right...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for clearing up the JSA part. The only reason I mentioned it is because I know someone who had a claim declined because he couldn't claim JSA due to recieving redundancy. Nazqueron I think your referring to ppi complaints in general. With TMP the welcome docs are unsigned they hold zero to little weight to be honest, you can ring Halifax and ask them. There's no other documentation for TMP. You've read my previous post I'm guessing. So you know I've sold these policies previously right...

I'm not disputing that, I'm pointing out someone's recollection of an event is not weighty evidence as you claim. Anyone can claim anything they like in their memory but it has no weight vs paperwork showing what was agreed - regardless of signature or not, that paperwork shows what was agreed, your memory of an event is not proof of anything.

I loaned you £1000, I vividly remember it, please repay me asap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure