Baggage Damage Brick Wall

Hi All

Having a nightmare with Ryanair!! Flew with them to Palma 23rd June and the damaged my hold bag - ripped right down the side so completely unusable for the return journey. There was noone at the Ryanair desk at the airport and I needed to leave to get a transfer so didnt report at the airport but sent them a tweet with a picture of the damage within an hour of landing. No response to that, so 3 more tweets, a facebook direct message, a direct tweet, and half an hour sitting in the hotel room on live chat on their website - they advised they wouldnt issue a PIR number, but i could log a complaint seperately. This was done straight away but they are now responding to say they can't process because I didnt report at the airport!! I would have done...but there was noone there?!
Any tips on where I can go from here?

Thanks

Jenny

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A tweet should never be the first option, an email is more official.
    Often at the airport there is someone to report it to who is representing all airlines, it may not be obviously Ryanair staff, but its too late for that now, you should have found someone to take a report.

RyanArs rules state it must be reporteded at the airport https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage-tracing/Damaged-delayed-or-lost-baggage#!

THe CAA also state it should be reported at the airport
    https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-Travel-Problems/Lost-delayed-or-damaged-baggage/

Do you have travel insurance you could claim on?

Or best bet now is to send a real paper letter to them asking for compensation. Which has some guidance here https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-airline-has-lost-or-damaged-my-bag-what-can-i-do
    and a template letter https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-claiming-compensation-after-luggage-was-damaged
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much was the bag worth,you could of contacted the airport handling agents who would have noted the damage and possibly give you a claim form,are you sure there was no Ryanair staff about,did you try the airport information desk?
    I can see why Ryanair want to wash their hands of it as with no acctual proof that this happened they will not want to pay out.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Hi, I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I flew to Palma on 17th June with Ryanair and my luggage was obliterated. I lost most of my clothes, the bag and several other items. I reported it straight away once I had found someone at their desk at Palma Airport but also made a separate claim through their website that night.

Ryanair are still delaying and delaying in response to my claim. The new problem I have been faced with this morning is they won't correspond with me using my correct email address. I booked the holiday with Travel Republic who supply an auto-generated email address to enable customers to check in with Ryanair. Now Ryanair are saying they will only use this address even though it isn't a proper one and I have no access to it. Travel Republic are yet to respond to me. I'm losing the will to live but i'm not giving up.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My suitcase was damaged going to Bulgaria back in May. We flew Thomas cook. Tbh the reps were waiting to herd us onto coaches. But I still had to report the damage to the airport. The gentleman who took all the details and gave me a PIR form was not Thomas cook staff.

W/o the PIR form I don't think many if any airlines will pay out.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    See post 2: you don't need to report it to Ryanair, you report it to the handling agent, whose desk will be in the reclaim hall, before you go through immigration.
    Twitter/Facebook is pointless, because once you have gone beyond reclaim, it's impossible to prove where the damage occurred.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    See post 2: you don't need to report it to Ryanair, you report it to the handling agent, whose desk will be in the reclaim hall, before you go through immigration.
    Twitter/Facebook is pointless, because once you have gone beyond reclaim, it's impossible to prove where the damage occurred.

In Bulgaria BOJ, it was landside. I asked the reps where do I go to report this? Whilst indicating my suitcase.
    Looked like a lost luggage office as well.
  • I believe a pir is not a legal requirement! Also how do you know theses things about reporting until you actually get home go online to report damage. To late to get a pair then and I don't know anyone who knows that info either?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Rameses99 wrote: »
    I believe a pir is not a legal requirement! Also how do you know theses things about reporting until you actually get home go online to report damage. To late to get a pair then and I don't know anyone who knows that info either?

Having read the whole thread it ought to be apparent that it's common sense.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure