Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Comments

• doug3101
    doug3101 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hi
    I am in a standoff with Tui regarding 'Duty of Care and Assistance'.
    Thursday 1st March, we managed to get to our hotel before the snow hit for our 7.25 a.m flight to Tenerife on Friday 2nd (we were going on a cruise)
    woke up next morning to find the airport is closed, nothing going in or out.
    Our only option was to book an extra day at the hotel as no public transport was available so we were effectively stranded. We finally got through to Tui and they said they were having conference calls to try and get flights up and running. I finally got a call in the early evening to say they were going to try and get planes in for Saturday 3rd.
    On Saturday 3rd, the Tui website stated that the flight to Tenerife was not going until Sunday 4th and cruise passengers should not travel to the airport.
    Public transport was still not back up and running so we had no choice but book another night in the hotel. I finally got through to the Tui shop where I had booked, we were given the option to re book for the following Friday and I was told to take my receipts to the shop with a view to reimbursement.
    I finally received a standard email saying that Tui would not be reimbursing me and I should claim from my insurance.
    I replied stating that they had a duty of care and I could take that on if they were unable to provide it. Once again got a polite 'go away' email.

one thing I have noticed is this-

"Airlines have to provide assistance such as food, phone calls and accommodation (where there's an overnight delay) to passengers whose flight has been cancelled, regardless of what caused the cancellation.

However, this only applies to cancelled flights where you choose to be re-routed at the earliest opportunity. If you decide to get a refund for the cancelled flight, or decide to be re-routed at a later date, then the airline doesn't have to provide this assistance as you're no longer its customer."

I'm concerned by the last paragraph, have I retrospectively discharged them of their duty of care because I accepted a different holiday or are Tui just trying it on?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    nicky76max wrote: »
    What’s an EC?
    Extraordinary Circumstance.
    Usually weather or ATC issues.
    As suggested, download Vaubans superb guide.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • PomBear
    PomBear Posts: 172 Forumite
    Welcome, Nicky.

According to an on-line flight tracker, your scheduled time of arrival was 03.20 local time, but (using the flight playback option), your aircraft reaches the terminal building at 05.49 local time. It is usual for flights to ‘catch up’. Given your take-take off time was 00.13 (a delay of 3 hours 13 minutes), I believe the data I have is correct and that means you aren’t due compensation.

I think you may have added the 3 hour 13 minute take-off delay to your scheduled arrival time. That would give an arrival time of 06.33, but I am afraid that isn’t how it works. Sorry!
  • nicky76max
    nicky76max Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi PomBear, thanks for your reply. I did a bit more digging last night and i also found the times that you have stated. When i looked at the "flightaware" website shortly after getting back from holiday, the data was different, i.e. it said the arrival time was 06.33. I cant remember exactly when we landed and i dont have anything to prove it so i will leave it this time. We go to Turkey every year and the flights are usually late taking off so i will take note next time!!!!
  • I was turned down for flight delay compensation by TUI as they claim bird strike is deemed to be extraordinary circumstances based on recently published EU Commission guidelines.

Anybody any thoughts on this.

TIA
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CEDR wrote: »
    These schemes are voluntary, the airlines choose to join them instead of staying in the CAA PACT scheme which has no powers to force airlines to abide by their views on a dispute. Any company in any industry that signs a subscription to an ADR/Ombudsman body like CEDR agrees to aide by the decisions made by the adjudicators. There are obviously issues on some aviation cases where the payments have not been made on time but that is an administrative failing in terms of processing payments not a refusal by the airline to comply. None of the airlines that subscribe to CEDR have ever refused to comply with one of our decisions. The delayed payment on some cases like DUKE!!!8217;s is disappointing and I am very sorry about that but we are working hard with the airlines to fix it.

Could DUKE go to court instead, yes, but Court action is not quick, not free, time consuming and potentially stressful and if you don!!!8217;t have a lawyer to represent you (that you will have to pay for) you may find yourself up against an experienced solicitor if the company decides to contest the case. So on balance I would suggest that CEDR is the better option for most people. We have 40+ qualified lawyers (with experience of thousands of cases) reviewing every case on its merits and a team of dedicated staff working hard for customers to ensure they receive 100% of the compensation they are entitled to under the relevant laws.

Well looks like I am in the same boat that DUKE was on. Deadline for payment instructed by CEDR 13th July 2018 now well passed. Contacted CEDR twice last week who advise airline is being chased up but still no contact or payment from TUI.

So TUI have now had 38 days & counting from the original CEDR decision-If this was banking there would be a significant fine imposed on companies failing to adhere to complaints timescales.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    philng wrote: »
    Well looks like I am in the same boat that DUKE was on. Deadline for payment instructed by CEDR 13th July 2018 now well passed. Contacted CEDR twice last week who advise airline is being chased up but still no contact or payment from TUI.

So TUI have now had 38 days & counting from the original CEDR decision-If this was banking there would be a significant fine imposed on companies failing to adhere to complaints timescales.

The payment part of the CEDR scheme is it's achilles heel unfortunately. Keep reminding CEDR every week or so.

From my experience they will pay up, eventually.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cranneyd wrote: »
    I was turned down for flight delay compensation by TUI as they claim bird strike is deemed to be extraordinary circumstances based on recently published EU Commission guidelines.

Anybody any thoughts on this.

TIA
    I'm not up to date on this one, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with information.
    Have you tried putting your details into an online checker, such as Botts to see if there is potential for a valid claim?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Was the bird strike on your plane or on your incoming plane as JPears says put your details into bottonline and also euclaim and see what they say.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JPears wrote: »
    I'm not up to date on this one, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with information.
    Have you tried putting your details into an online checker, such as Botts to see if there is potential for a valid claim?

This is quite a good article on bird strikes, and also on another issue which we often come across here.

That being how the 3 hour delay period works when there is more than one reason for the delay i.e an EC and a none EC reason.

I don't think the reasoning for the bird strike ruling is correct but, until it's overturned it still stands.

https://www.claim4flights.com/flight-delay-compensation-extraordinary-ruling-bird-strikes/
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback