Think Workplace might be Dodgy and Hygiene Check due?

Despite having a 5* Hygiene rating, my work place (Coffee Shop) seems incredibly unlikely to pass one, as the shop owner does not care enough to make changes to fix the dodgy equipment (or lack of equipment.)

I'm looking for a new job to be out asap, but today the health society phoned and said we are due a health and hygiene check as our certificate has expired.

Firstly, we have a sink but no boiler, so no hot water. We have to get hot water from the coffee machine and pour it into the sink to wash up.

Secondly, the coffee machine is broken. Only one side works, and only one side has ever worked for the whole time we have been there. The hot water doesn't work normally, it sprays out all over the place and is insanely loud, half the shop is covered with steam to produce a tiny amount. Ages ago someone was called out to look at it and said it was beyond repair and full of limescale, because the shop owner hasn't been cleaning it or had it serviced for the 4 years before we arrived.

Thirdly, we have no toilets. Not for staff or customers. Our building is on the outside of a shopping center and counts as a kiosk so apparently this is legal, however the nearest toilets are right at the top of the shopping center, pretty far away, and I'm not sure we should be serving food if we cannot provide toilets but I might be wrong.

Lastly, our lease was up in April and the shop owner has not renewed it to our knowledge. He went away to Iran for 5 months and we got mountains of bills and brown envelopes, now he's back he's refusing to look at them repeatedly saying "I'll do it later."

I was just wondering what would happen if we got closed down, or if there is any way to anonymously voice our concerns? The shop makes very little money, sometimes less than a fiver a day, but he needs it open for his visa or something like that...

What would you do in this situation? Ignore it or report suspicion? I just want job security until I can find another place to go....

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Well, at 8.30 this morning you knew it was going to be closing, so it seems like you'll be finding out what happens if it closes! I really don't understand what these threads are about. Are you wanting to quit? Do you want the place closing? Or do you want the income? If you want to report it, then do so - but be prepared for your job to disappear in a second. If that's what you want, fine. But I'm really not sure what it is that you are trying to achieve here.
  • Do you have a lazy manager btw?
  • Miowzolite
    Miowzolite Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 7:51PM
    Well, at 8.30 this morning you knew it was going to be closing, so it seems like you'll be finding out what happens if it closes! I really don't understand what these threads are about. Are you wanting to quit? Do you want the place closing? Or do you want the income? If you want to report it, then do so - but be prepared for your job to disappear in a second. If that's what you want, fine. But I'm really not sure what it is that you are trying to achieve here.

Lol, what? Read my post above, this isn't about that. Yes the place is closing, but (as I mentioned previously) it could be any time after July. I have decided to stay at the job, however I want to know what will happen if it suddenly gets closed down after the health check which could be as soon as next week. The fact the place might only have months left is irrelevant - Literally ANY food place can be shut down for hygiene reasons, it doesn't matter how long they have left. They aren't going to say "oh you're selling up anyway so we will let you get away with it."

What I'm trying to achieve is any kind of knowledge on whether or not it would be best to report it before the health check, to ensure WE don't get into trouble or get our catering safety certificates taken away. If I ignore it and let the check happen, then what will happen then in terms of our wages? Will the place close indefinitely or could it close for a few weeks and then re-open? Will we get pay for the time it is closed?

I don't want to wait until the day it happens, I need some advice on how to handle the situation now. I'm not the type to "just do nothing and wait to see what happens" I find it a bit difficult to comprehend how you could happily do that and think it would be the best option?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As a worker your employer has a duty of care but you have an obligation towards your own health and safety. So have you reported any of these issues?
    It's no use complaining to each other about unsafe environments if you don't bother to do anything about it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Miowzolite
    Thanks, as I asked in the question, is there any way to anonymously report it? And who to?
  • Miowzolite
    Thanks :) Very helpful, much better than "I guess you'll find out..." lool.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you are seriously concerned about safety and hygiene you can report your worries to environmental health.
    Takings of £5 ? Regardless of any hygiene inspection results wouldn't that be enough to close it anyway? !
    If you are leaving I wouldn't bother doing anything. Just don't take your mates there for coffee!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I'm sorry but what do you think will happen if it gets closed down. You will have no job is what will happen. I can't work out what other answer you are expecting. If it closes you will need to get another job or claim JSA/UC.
  • Miowzolite
    Thanks, as long as our heath n hygiene certificates aren't affected (we need those for other jobs) and we personally will not get into trouble. I'd rather report stuff myself than have that happen - they could question how we managed to get certificates but didn't notice how unsafe the work environment was. But if you're sure that won't happen then I'll take your word for it.

I'm taking it you are saying that if it closes for health n safety reasons then it won't be just for a week or two, it will be for good? So we will be out of a job for definite? Thanks that's all I really needed to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure