PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Retrospective Right to buy discount

Bit of a unanswerable question maybe but maybe someone has an idea.
Currently the bill passed in 2016 giving Housing association tennents the same right to buy rights/discount as Council Tennents. But still I cant do it. As they seem to have no idea to implement the process or when its even going to happen after having a failed 1 year trial period theyre having another one. so at Earliest 2019..............
Since all that is available at present is The Right to Acquire which is basically the same thing but a much smaller discount.
Right to Acquire Discount £9000
Right to Buy Discount £40,000

If its law since 2016 would there be grounds for a future refund of what i should be legally entitled to now as i don't think I can afford to wait any longer(or for a possible 2019) as ive actually been waiting since 2015, followed the bill through and it passed in 2016 and been waiting since

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There is absolutely nothing stopping you from buying on the open market. It won't be backdated. If you can't wait any longer buy on the open market and leave your housing association property for someone who hasn't got anywhere to live and can't afford to buy anything.
  • Granted, I could buy on the open market but I dont want to. I want to buy my place ive lived in for the past 11 years, im too ill for the uprooting. However i was being quite factual. Im 2015 the main con manifesto was Right to Buy for Housing Tenants. I followed the Bill through Parliament, it became law in 2016 but yet some people in some areas are lucky enough to get it yet in our area we cant. Theyre on their 2nd year trial period now and have no idea how to implement it or when they will. But the Bill states we should.......
    There is a huge difference between right to acquire discount and right to buy discount. Im entitled to both by Law but can only get One....................??? Explain that?????? And I never mentioned once about open market otherwise i would have said, this is clearly about Housing Tenant purchase so werent you just tyoing for no reason
  • would there be grounds for a future refund of what i should be legally entitled to now as i don't think I can afford to wait any longer(or for a possible 2019) as ive actually been waiting since 2015, followed the bill through and it passed in 2016 and been waiting since

Oh the entitlement! You are legally entitled to go and buy a house of your choosing on the open market anywhere you like. Unfortunately, you are also entitled to buy your Housing Association property; taking the £9k discount offered with gratitude.

Poor love, having to wait all this time for a bigger freebie. My heart aches for you.
  • Already, Instantly I can see this turning into , Leave it for someone who deserves it, who hasnt got anywhere to live, cant afford to buy anything. etc Why do you think i got it in the 1st place? Because I was ill. My parents died from cancer, mum the most recent. I used the inheritance to do what i promised her to make myself secure as I am also ill. If you have a moral issue with that then fill your boots thats your problem. Take it up with the loons who govern us and decide all this and when they do cant even implement due to farce and imcompitence.Im only trying to buy with what im entitled too.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Didn't the bill introduce voluntary right to buy for housing association tenants rather than a statutory right to buy which is what was introduced in 1980 for council tenants?

The autumn 2016 budget announced that a pilot scheme would take place and then the autumn 2017 budget announced the pilot would be in the Midlands.

Which law, please quote the exact wording verbatim, makes you think you have the right to buy now?
  • Your heart can ache all it wants , thats your moral opinion. Facts are facts . If you disagree with the Right to Buy and how it works then that is up to you. If you dont agree that I am only doing what I am entitled to do , then also. That is your preference. But i am entitled to this as have people since decades ago, only the scam of privatisation and private companys now running these services is where it lies. Not me but Hey if you want to judge me fill your boots. I couldnt politely give a monkeys you views. im only after facts. Anyway. Must dash for now, The Footies on
  • The pilot initial pilot scheme took place which lasted a year in 5 pre determined regions. It was a massive failure with a terrible uptake to what they were expecting, so much so they have now introduced a 2nd trial period and Yes you a correct it is in another pre determined area, which i also followed to the point it was determined it would be in the Midlands. this will take us into 2019 even though the bill was passed back in 2016. I followed the whole process since 2015-2016 , the ping pong between the houses then the final bill being passed by the queen. Am i missing something here.................. Surely if in 2016 i had the entitlement to right to buy and right to buy discounts that still stands. At the end of the its not my fault that the governments lack of ability to do things right and miserably fail as they constantly do on most other things aswell and get it rolled out nationwide surely? If people dont agreee i buy thats up to them, but thats not what this post is about.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Already, Instantly I can see this turning into , Leave it for someone who deserves it, who hasnt got anywhere to live, cant afford to buy anything. etc Why do you think i got it in the 1st place? Because I was ill. My parents died from cancer, mum the most recent. I used the inheritance to do what i promised her to make myself secure as I am also ill. If you have a moral issue with that then fill your boots thats your problem. Take it up with the loons who govern us and decide all this and when they do cant even implement due to farce and imcompitence.Im only trying to buy with what im entitled too.

Now that I don't understand. You are more secure renting from a housing association than you will ever be if you buy it. People who own houses and flats are responsible for all the maintainance. If you live in a flat you not only have to pay the service charge but you also have to pay for maintainance to the building and that can mean bills running into £1000s. As a tenant you don't have to pay any of this. If you run out of money for the service charge or the maintainance what are you going to do?
  • Oh by the way.
    When enquired the Housing Association say I Can, buy it at the minute with the Right to Acquire. So if its voluntary like you say and are correct. They can sell it Right to buy way aswell. If not now refund what i should have got because they dont know there !!!! from elbow and cant even get it off the ground in the first place. Even read about it possibly not ever going nationwide. I have been researching this best i can guys as i think anyone would. I even went as far as spending plans in the budget for 2016-2019/20
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think Pixie has answered your question. Either something is law or it is not. In the case of HA properties it would seem, so far, they are not included in the RTB scheme.

Your options therefore are to wait and see if the law changes so they are included, take the lower discount and be glad of it or buy on the open market. Unfortunately, you do not have the choice to cite as law something which has yet to become so. Oh, the laws I would make if I could!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure