HMRC say no tax relief on pension contribution as I'm a 20% tax payer

Comments

• Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't do a tax return but would write it in a letter referencing their own policy. If that doesbt work I'd write a letter of complaint. Someone who understands should become involved.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • AandP
    AandP Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Many thanks to all, I will try one last time, quoting their own policy etc and reiterating that my pension company has not added any tax relief even thought this has been all said before. If no luck I will try it in a tax return but not sure how that will come out as in the P800 it already looks like they have concluded that I have already received tax relief.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Go straight to the Complaints section with a letter. The first line of the address on the envelope should be 'Complaints'. You should also ask for the cost of your telephone calls to be reimbursed. I did this for £5.41 of calls that I shouldn't have had to make and got a cheque for £40. Ironically, BT then mucked up my phone bill and charged me nothing for the phone calls - but that's another story.

You will get it sorted.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AandP wrote: »
    Many thanks to all, I will try one last time, quoting their own policy etc and reiterating that my pension company has not added any tax relief even thought this has been all said before. If no luck I will try it in a tax return but not sure how that will come out as in the P800 it already looks like they have concluded that I have already received tax relief.

There is a specific box on the tax return for such payments.....but if you want to do it the long way then a complaints letter is the way to go.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    BoGoF wrote: »
    There is a specific box on the tax return for such payments.....but if you want to do it the long way then a complaints letter is the way to go.

I agree with you. three boxes for pensions contributions and one is the right one for the OP. I always fill in a tax return for this exact reason. It's all done online, not difficult.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But if you don't complain how will their error in the information they have given out be corrected?
  • From the op's perspective it wouldn't need to be corrected.

The self assessment return would result in a repayment and then instead of the onus being on the op to prove he is due the relief the onus would be on HMRC to challenge the return if they believed it to be wrong.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    From the op's perspective it wouldn't need to be corrected.

The self assessment return would result in a repayment and then instead of the onus being on the op to prove he is due the relief the onus would be on HMRC to challenge the return if they believed it to be wrong.

But without highlighting the erroneous statements from the HMRC 'helpline' then there will be a lost opportunity for HMRC to improve their training/knowledge of the telephone staff. Of course, the complaint may not lead to improvements, but that isn't a reason not to make the complaint me thinks!
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know someone who works in tax office and majority of staff on phones are new, have had very limited training and just follow a script. A lot of the experienced staff have left and many managers are brought in without a tax background from other civil service departments.
    If there was going to be anyone with any tax knowledge I would expect it would be on the complaints team. Make sure it is clear it is an official complaint.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AandP wrote: »
    The pension provider is BlackRock and they said they would not be able to claim tax relief on my behalf as it hasn't gone through the normal payroll which my normal monthly pension contributions do and which they normally add tax relief at source.

Surely they offer a lump sum payment option. Struggling to believe that they don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure