PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you SABLE?

Comments

• singlestep
    singlestep Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 July 2018 at 2:42AM
    I have been spending a few days tidying and re-organising and I am absolutely appalled at myself.

I have a huge surplus of pens in all colours and types. Whiteboard ones, colouring ones, highlighters, and ones I use for handwriting. I do use them often and pass them on when the need arises at work. Even so, I have a big box full at home (and also a sizable stash at work) going well in to the hundreds.

Ditto notebooks and wallets, folders and organisers. I can't resist pretty ones, could go a few years using them at work. 32 unused notebooks, in various locations at work and home... However, I have started adding them to gifts I buy for friends and family.

Skincare and cosmetics. I put them away, forget about them and think I need things when I don't. Loads of make up. I hardly ever wear it. I have a bag of deodorant and body wash/moisturiser and other items I am looking to donate all purchased in the last year. I am totally disgusted at what I have thrown out because I can't identify how old it is. I get perfume sets from relatives as gifts, although I have explained I can't spray it. It is the thought that counts but they do usually get repurposed as raffle prizes at work.

Candles. The scented kind. I do/did love them and couldn't pass by a candle shop without going in but I have stopped. Trouble is that people find me hard to buy for, know that I can't have flowers or chocolate or perfume and often I get them as Christmas/birthday/thank you gifts. I'm also unable to burn certain scented brands. My candle box is overflowing, and that's even with several sets repurposed as gift additions/raffle prizes.

I am also trying to thin out a large book collection and will have to nip in the bud my more recent scarf habit.
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love pens, paper, notebooks, I!!!8217;d love to find some Basildon Bond onion skin airmail paper, just to remember a good time in the 70s
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Books ... I have too many books, cookery books in particular. Also, slightly oddly, washi tape - if you are in any way 'craftily' inclined then that is absolutely not a rabbit-hole that you should go down in any way.

I have too much cleaning stuff, I keep a stash in the garage and whilst it's not huge it does border on being slightly unreasonable given that it's just me and the OH in a fairly small house. I also love to cook Japanese and Asian food so I have a bit of a thing for Japanese tableware, especially pretty bowls and hashioki (chopstick rests), they're just so lovely and I have pairs for all seasons (and then some ...)
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    love this ;)

too many things clothes and handbags springs to mind...sports/gymwear coming up on the rails....lots of emergency candles under the sink lived here 10 years and not yet used one :cool:.....do any of you blame charity shopping for this ? its so cheap I find myself unable to resist

great thread
    onwards and upwards
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I plan to retire soon so will have more time on my hands. We will be moving house and I'm trying to reduce the amount of carp we have. I've thought about how I will fill some of my time and have thought about taking up crafts of some sorts. I've toyed with the idea recently about buying a cheap sewing machine so I can make some bunting. I can see already from this thread, that this way lies madness......
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I got a large frying pan collection.aabout six I think, but each has its own special purpose.
    Saut! pan, good for risotto too
    Large open family frying pan
    Le Creuset griddle pan
    L.C. Plain pan
    Enamelled pan for melting butter...?not much used
    Non stick pancake pan
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I can just imagine all the KonMarie practitioners reading this thread and passing out in horror. The countryside is now probably littered with the bodies of appalled dedicated de-clutterers.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    monnagran wrote: »
    I can just imagine all the KonMarie practitioners reading this thread and passing out in horror. The countryside is now probably littered with the bodies of appalled dedicated de-clutterers.

The lovely GreyQueen who started this thread is a highly skilled KonMarie practitioner.........
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Well, I think that I am SABLE in many things. I am grateful for my mother and grandmother especially, who passed down a lot of things - I use the preserving pan and bean slicer that my grandmother had as wedding gifts (soon they will be 100 years old!)
    When I look round my kitchen especially, I can tell so many stories of the things I own.
    At present, I am crocheting white poppies for November 2018, and I am using my grandmother's crochet hook, recalling her brother who was killed, and the white poppies she and her sisters wore.
  • Litha
    Litha Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm loving this thread, it makes me realise that I'm not alone with my stuffed to the rafters life!
    I just had to pop back to tell Vulpix that one little bit of your post really resonated with me :j
    'but what if 40 people drop in unexpectedly?' This is me to a T! :D
    I think I may make a poster with that little phrase :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Linda x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure