The end of paper statements Natwest?

Today Natwest has emailed to say that it will be switching off my paper statements in August. I didn't ask them to do this nor do I want them to do it. A "webchat" confirmed my suspicions that there is no way to stop them doing this, though it "may be" possible to switch paper back on again, but only after the August switch off. They assure me that this is in my best interest, though how they can read my mind I do not know. Very angry and about to switch bank accounts for the first time in 50 years. They don't care.

Comments

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MEfarm wrote: »
    Today Natwest has emailed to say that it will be switching off my paper statements in August. I didn't ask them to do this nor do I want them to do it. A "webchat" confirmed my suspicions that there is no way to stop them doing this, though it "may be" possible to switch paper back on again, but only after the August switch off. They assure me that this is in my best interest, though how they can read my mind I do not know. Very angry and about to switch bank accounts for the first time in 50 years. They don't care.

I have also received this e-mail today and came here to see if anyone else has.

I do not want to go paperless on my account. There are still plenty of occasions where somebody wants to see a non-internet statement as proof of ID and therefore I would like to keep this as an option. It is NOT in my best interests.

In addition, and I accept this is for my own amusement, I have had this as my main bank account since 1985 and I have kept every statement from it in those little ringbinders they provide. It is silly but I like to have the record. I'm not a hoarder - I shred old statements from everything else!

If there's any option at all to switch paper statements back on come 2 August I will be doing so.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Nat West have had a big surge in customers banking online which is closing a lot of branches around the UK.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    NatWest have rarely offered any products worth having, it's one of the few banks I have never bothered with. If you end up switching they may have done you a favour
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,670
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I do not want to go paperless on my account. There are still plenty of occasions where somebody wants to see a non-internet statement as proof of ID and therefore I would like to keep this as an option.

Are they offering the option to provide paper statements on request to cater for such occasions ? I know Santander do if you go paperless - there is an online option to request that an up-to-date statement be mailed to you.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Are they offering the option to provide paper statements on request to cater for such occasions ? I know Santander do if you go paperless - there is an online option to request that an up-to-date statement be mailed to you.

I can't see that function at the moment or any reference to it on their website. Maybe they will offer it after August? I would still rather have one to hand than have to wait for one to arrive.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There are still plenty of occasions where somebody wants to see a non-internet statement as proof of ID

Indeed, the sooner there are no paper statements the sooner this nonsence will stop.

BTW I have never had an internet statement printed refused as this ID.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Are they offering the option to provide paper statements on request to cater for such occasions ?

I raised this in a web chat and was told that this would be possible.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,256
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ColdIron wrote: »
    NatWest have rarely offered any products worth having, it's one of the few banks I have never bothered with. If you end up switching they may have done you a favour
    Speak for yourself. They have the most generous cashback current account (2% on most bills, including council tax) and the most generous cashback credit card which isn't an Amex (0.5% min back, 1% at supermarkets).
  • I've just received a similar email from the RBS - I am furious and have made an official complaint. Even if it will be possible to switch paper statements back on after August their condescending email should be worded to point this out.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I'm very happy NOT to get paper statements from NatWest. Having recently joined them I was astonished to find their statements are printed sideways on A5 paper with non-standard holes punched in them. Twice the number of sheets you'd get if it was A4 and can't file them without re-punching them. Every other bank I use has sensible formats for statements. Happy to never see NatWest ones again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure