Standing for election is a human right

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also you have to take into account people that have no desire to do the job but would just stand and get elected anyway, possibly through intimidation or the such, as occurs in other countries.

No, standing for election is not a human right.

See my reply to martinsurrey, people that hold high office still cannot stand, an ordinary worker cannot 'intimidate' anyone.

This new rule would allow millions of ordinary workers, to do what the rest of the population can, stand for election.
  • sevenhills
    Article 3 of the First Protocol: Right to free elections

There is also a right to stand for election to the legislature, which includes a right to sit as a member of the legislature once elected. There can be restrictions on who is eligible to stand for election but eligibility procedures must contain sufficient safeguards to prevent arbitrary decisions.

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/human-rights/what-are-human-rights/human-rights-act/article-3-first-protocol-right-free-elections
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    Current rules fit in with article 3
  • sevenhills
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Current rules fit in with article 3

England and Scotland have different rules, I believe the rules in Scotland are better.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    See my reply to martinsurrey, people that hold high office still cannot stand, an ordinary worker cannot 'intimidate' anyone.

This new rule would allow millions of ordinary workers, to do what the rest of the population can, stand for election.

Where do you draw the line? someone working in child services on a case of an abused child, one day is working on it, the next day never comes back.

And the Scotland rules dont give council employees the same rights as everyone else, they give them more.

If I run for office and win, I still have to serve out my notice period at work, or be sued for breach of contract, and receive a very poor reference if i was to ever need one. Which means in reality I cant stand, while the no notice resignation in the council means an employee can stand at will and risk nothing.
  • unforeseen
    sevenhills wrote: »
    England and Scotland have different rules, I believe the rules in Scotland are better.

Yes but they both fit in to article 3
  • sevenhills
    edited 9 February 2018 at 6:44PM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Yes but they both fit in to article 3

I don't believe they do; I would give a solicitor £500 to take the case forward, but that might not be enough.
    eligibility procedures must contain sufficient safeguards to prevent arbitrary decisions.
    Disqualifying over 5 million people is "arbitrary", in my opinion.

Its a sledge hammer to crack a nut. There may be people within that 5 million that have influence and should not stand, I am not one of them.
  • sevenhills
    If I run for office and win, I still have to serve out my notice period at work, or be sued for breach of contract, and receive a very poor reference if i was to ever need one. Which means in reality I cant stand, while the no notice resignation in the council means an employee can stand at will and risk nothing.

When the rules says "Your resignation will take immediate effect regardless of any notice period previously specified.", I do not think you will be sued if you are following the law of the land.
  • unforeseen
    I don't believe they do; I would give a solicitor £500 to take the case forward, but that might no be enough.

Disqualifying over 5 million people is "arbitrary", in my opinion.

Its a sledge hammer to crack a nut. There may be people within that 5 million that have influence and should not stand, I am not one of them.

That's lucky, you have saved yourself £500+
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite

If you feel strongly about it, change your job.....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure