One app to replace ALL your loyalty cards

Options
This thread is specifically to discuss any feedback on the Stocard loyalty card app, and any others you've used.

Loyalty Card App

You can also join in a Loyalty Card article discussion plus discussions about boosting your Nectar points , Boots Advantage Card points, and Airmiles.

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Previous thread
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• lip13
    lip13 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using the Stocard app for probably around a year now. Nice and simple to use and easy to add cards but I've found that stores scanning the barcodes on my phone has been a mixed bag. Sainsburys scanners don't work with the app more often than not and the cashier then has to type the number in. I haven't found a self-service till that works with the app either yet. Still, there are 10 cards I no longer have to carry because of the app so pretty happy with it overall
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doesn't work in my local Boots, Co Op, Tesco, Sainsbury's, or superdrug.

Waste of time IMHO, I have to still carry my cards around as staff don't always have time to manually type in everytime.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Guzzibear
    Guzzibear Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I asked at Sainsburys when it did not work and they said it depends on the scanner on the tills they are not all the same. One option is to scan your cards barcodes and create your own card of codes. If careful you can get several on a credit card sized piece of card replacing those that don't work on scanners. Still keep originals though in case they are ever required.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • pxtb
    pxtb Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Bink which works the same and it also does not work when I forgot the actual card.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This any different to adding loyalty cards to android pay i.e. the barcode comes up on screen?
    Added my cards to android pay and none of the stores I visited could scan it from the screen
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had the Stocard app for ages but it doesn't work on the Tesco or Sainsbury's self-service till scanners at the branches near me. If I've already queued and put my shopping through the till I'm not going to then move to a till with a cashier for manual input, so I've found it completely useless and it'd be the first thing I'd delete if I ran out of space! Shame because it's a good idea.
  • margaret_eyles
    Options
    Used this for about a year now - fantastic app would recommend it. Depends if the store has scanner or infra-red lazer as to whether they can scan the cards but it makes numbers large enough to easily read, you can share store cards with another user so if one card in the family you can all add to your own app. As you can take photos & put notes I have added driving licence, library card, visa etc etc passworded with fingerprint & backed up to the cloud- just purchased smaller handbag ��
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just downloaded the app and loaded my cards - will see how it works before I stop carrying some around with me. For most I've stopped carrying the full sized card anyway and just keep the small key fob one in my purse
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Si1969
    Si1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been using Stocard for about 18 months, and for me it is the best loyalty card app by far.

It'd be nice to be able to feedback missing loyalty schemes to the developer, as I've quite a few cards that they don't offer in their library (e.g. tofs)

The biggest issue with the concept isn't the app, but the scanners that shops use. Sainsbury's scanners don't support scanning qr codes. Neither does Iceland. Boots weirdly refused to even enter the code number at Manchester for me.

But worst of all are M&S. We have a brand new store in our town, and none of their tills or self service scanners will scan a phone barcode, despite M&S having their own loyalty app.

A good tip is to get this app onto your families phones, so that you can all collectively grab points.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Generally I don't use loyalty cards - they're a faff and it takes about 2 years to add up to a value of about £2-3 for my nearest shop (Sains) .... and I've never used an app of any sort.

I struggle already to find/use my Sainsbury card when I am in there ... and it's all a faff and holding up the queue... having to additionally get my phone out, find the app, do all of that, while packing, while paying, while making sure I've got everything and not dropped something, while checking I've got the right change and finally ... after not tripping over as I felt under pressure to "get a move on" from the queue behind me ....

.... in short it won't happen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure