IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ES Parking Enforcement

Options
I have just received a letter from Wright Hassall on behalf of ZZPS acting on behalf of their client ES Parking Enforcement for a pay and display "parking event". The ticket blew upside down when the car door was shut!

I have had a few letters previously - some I have responded to acting as Registered Owner and have never declared who the driver was at the time of the parking infraction.

This letter includes the phrase "...may result in us recommending to our client that we pass this matter over to our Litigation Department", followed by threats as to what a CCJ might impact.

Am I correct in thinking this is another debt collection letter and therefore I should ignore at this point? The only letter I should formally respond to now is a letter before action?

Comments

• dazster
    dazster Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Yes its just a debt collection letter, the clue is that WH's "client" is ZZPS. ZZPS has no standing to bring a claim (and in reality it's ZZPS that has sent the letter, the shonky solicitors Wright Hassall have simply pimped out their letterhead).

Have you still got the P&D ticket?
  • billinghamn
    Options
    dazster wrote: »
    Yes its just a debt collection letter, the clue is that WH's "client" is ZZPS. ZZPS has no standing to bring a claim (and in reality it's ZZPS that has sent the letter, the shonky solicitors Wright Hassall have simply pimped out their letterhead).

Have you still got the P&D ticket?

Yes - it was "left in the car", so it is still available to me.
  • dazster
    dazster Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Keep it safe. In the highly unlikely even of this ever reaching court it'll be your get-out-of-jail-free card. Obviously any reasonable person (and judge) would expect the fake fine to be cancelled once you'd produced proof that you paid.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dazster wrote: »
    Keep it safe. In the highly unlikely even of this ever reaching court it'll be your get-out-of-jail-free card. Obviously any reasonable person (and judge) would expect the fake fine to be cancelled once you'd produced proof that you paid.
    +1; Also scan a copy so that you'll have a computer record as well.

Here's a case where a wrong reg number was input; slightly different circumstances but the case hinged on whether the motorist had paid or not.
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/gladstone-solicitors-score-triple-whammy.html
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 25 June 2016 at 5:37PM
    Options
    I have had a few letters previously - some I have responded to acting as Registered Owner and have never declared who the driver was at the time of the parking infraction.
    Good. You haven't ignored it and you haven't declared who was driving.

Ignore debt collector letters but keep them, plus your evidence which is the ticket but also (if you can get some) pictures of the P&D machine showing no clear terms nearby warning of the £100 'charge'. There's a tariff board in large lettering we expect, but any mention of the 'contract' to be liable to pay £100 will likely be on another sign in tiny font. Get that evidence (pics of the entrance sign/lack of terms, the machine vicinity lacking terms except about tariffs, and get a close up of the small print on a sign with a ruler held next to it). Keep your evidence, in case the signs change in the ensuing years before you can forget about it (six years).

Compare notes by privtae message with this person:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5484393

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • billinghamn
    billinghamn Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    A Formal Letter of Claim has now come through from Wright Hassall. I will ignore this one as well.

As I understand it, until a Letter Before Action arrives, I have no need to reply.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    OMG it's the same thing...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • billinghamn
    Options
    Now had a Letter before Claim from Gladstones. I assume I need to respond to this one, otherwise it may go further?

By now, I have no idea who was driving at the time, but still have the valid ticket. Is it worth sending a copy of it to Gladstones?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Now had a Letter before Claim from Gladstones. I assume I need to respond to this one,
    How to respond to a LBC is provided in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2.
    Is it worth sending a copy of it to Gladstones?
    Nope, it won’t change anything at this stage, Gladstones will just steamroller on. If court papers are eventually served, then the ticket will be a key item at the evidence stage. Hold on to it.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure