Where can I get cheap Advocate online for my cat without prescription?

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    ozlem wrote: »
    Well as it's a stray cat I want him to have the best treatment as he is out a lot.

What do you call the "best treatment"? Do you think spending more money will guarantee more success?

For a stray cat I would use a fipronil based treatment to deal with fleas and Drontal or equivalent to treat for worms.

For example:

http://www.vet-medic.com/flea-treatments-c91/fiprospot-spot-on-for-cats-p7551

http://www.vet-medic.com/wormers-c111/cazitel-cat-single-tablet-p10928
  • ozlem
    ozlem Posts: 37 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Drontal is no choice for me really as I find it hard to give him tablets:-((
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2016 at 2:40PM
    ozlem wrote: »
    Drontal is no choice for me really as I find it hard to give him tablets:-((

Then maybe you'd be better off with Droncit which is a spot-on wormer.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-droncit-and-droncit-spot-on-c-17_26
  • I imported mine from Australia where they don't need a prescription. I always get it that way and the cats have been fine. My vet wants £13 just for filling out a prescription, plus have had seen the animal within the past year (or there would also be a consultation fee), plus each pipette is £11! Much cheaper to get it from abroad. Just going to do it again but can't remember the name of the website before I typed this, otherwise I'd give it. Need to Google it!
  • I mean Advocate.....
  • Hopefully nowhere - this stuff is Prescrition only for a reason...
  • OK - and what is the reason? ;-)
  • Cuilean
    Cuilean Posts: 731
    First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    veenee wrote: »
    OK - and what is the reason? ;-)

Same reason us humans can't stroll up to our local chemist and just ask for medicine you'd need a GP's prescription for. A lot of these medications contain potent chemicals, and may not be suitable for every animal. The idea is that the person who prescribes the medication knows a little of your animal's background to ensure it's safe for them. Even the online vet pharmacies will ask a few basic questions to check the suitability of the medicine for your animal.
    © Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
  • Instead of illegally importing prescription drugs from overseas, why not just buy Advantage the UK?

Advantage contains the same ingredient (imidacloprid) for fleas as Advocate, but is non-prescription.

Combine it with Drontal for the worms, job done.

None of the faffing about, and no laws broken.
  • veenee
    veenee Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:19AM
    Cuilean wrote: »
    Same reason us humans can't stroll up to our local chemist and just ask for medicine you'd need a GP's prescription for. A lot of these medications contain potent chemicals, and may not be suitable for every animal. The idea is that the person who prescribes the medication knows a little of your animal's background to ensure it's safe for them. Even the online vet pharmacies will ask a few basic questions to check the suitability of the medicine for your animal.

I am a bit too cynical to believe it.

Vet does not do any extra examinations if you decide to go for Advocate or ask for prescription.

It is just the way to get more money from all of us - as vets and Bayer got themselves a perfect deal here...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback