IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The MSE advice here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets refers to "Beat unfair private parking tickets"

My lad just got one (staying too long at MacDonalds), he didn't see (or didn't read) any warning notice and he did stay longer than the (alleged) maximum allowed. Does that mean it's a fair parking ticket, just pay up and shut up? Or does ignoring everything short of a county court order mean they'll give up?

You are posting in the wrong place I am afraid, this thread is clearly ONLY for reporting successes with complaints! You need to start your own thread once you have read the usual advice:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=63033637&posted=1

All fake PCNs from any private firm are ALWAYS 'unfair'.

No reply about it here please, just read the forum full of current threads and learn how to appeal, complain and win.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks to the advice posted on this website I have just had a success against Parking Eye. My wife received a £100/£60 demand from them for an 18 minute overstay in their free for 2 hours car park on the Rishworth Retail Park, Dewsbury.

I was fortunate to contact a very sympathetic duty manager of one of the retailers based on said car park. She advised my wife to pop in with the ticket and any receipts she had from the day in question and she would sort it.

This was duly done and yesterday we received a letter from the nice people at Parking Eye advising the matter was now closed.

I don't feel comfortable naming the retailer in question as I wouldn't want to start a stampede to their door, but the experience shows that if you are prepared to contact the local management of stores on these retail parks you can get a positive result.

Incidentally my wife did not spend any money in this particular store on the day in question, but has done so in the past. The receipts she had were for other retailers on the complex who's customer service levels were not as impressive! The store manager who helped was happy with our account that my wife was a genuine shopper who had slightly overstayed the free period on a busy Saturday afternoon. She will be rewarded in the fullness of time with my wife's extra spending there as a result of this positive experience of her company!! Best get some overtime in!!!:beer:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just reporting another success - Razor post 541 on this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4660007&page=28
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • The_Blade wrote: »
    Thanks to the advice posted on this website I have just had a success against Parking Eye. My wife received a £100/£60 demand from them for an 18 minute overstay in their free for 2 hours car park on the Rishworth Retail Park, Dewsbury.

I was fortunate to contact a very sympathetic duty manager of one of the retailers based on said car park. She advised my wife to pop in with the ticket and any receipts she had from the day in question and she would sort it.

This was duly done and yesterday we received a letter from the nice people at Parking Eye advising the matter was now closed.

I don't feel comfortable naming the retailer in question as I wouldn't want to start a stampede to their door, but the experience shows that if you are prepared to contact the local management of stores on these retail parks you can get a positive result.

Incidentally my wife did not spend any money in this particular store on the day in question, but has done so in the past. The receipts she had were for other retailers on the complex who's customer service levels were not as impressive! The store manager who helped was happy with our account that my wife was a genuine shopper who had slightly overstayed the free period on a busy Saturday afternoon. She will be rewarded in the fullness of time with my wife's extra spending there as a result of this positive experience of her company!! Best get some overtime in!!!:beer:

Disappointed to note that you "don't feel comfortable naming the retailer" who cancelled this charge. Surely you SHOULD do this, to give others the confidence to challenge unfair charge notices. We're all in this together, you know! :money:

And I do hope that your comment about "the nice people at Parking Eye" was intended as sarcasm. Those "nice people" would not have let you off their hook without the intervention of the store.
  • :TI have received a cancellation letter today for a PCN issued for £90 from Total Parking Solutions Ltd
    In Central Retail Park Wrexham.
    The notice was given because 'I was observed leaving the site' the site is free parking for up to 2 hours and after 30 minuets I had a PCN stuck to my windscreen.
    I sent the following letter :-

Total Parking Solutions
    Parking Control Department
    PO Box 7135
    Kettering
    NN16 6BP

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: MT304XXXXX

On 30/8/13 I parked my vehicle KXXX XXX at Central Retail Park Wrexham.
    When I returned to my vehicle I discovered a parking charge notice affixed to my vehicle.
    The parking charge notice stated that I had left the sight whilst my vehicle remained on site.
    I believe I am not in breach of this contravention for the following reasons.
    The signage was not clear enough to show that you are not allowed to leave the site; the only clear restriction shown is the maximum stay was 2 hours
    (I did in fact return to the site to Dunelm Mill after visiting my bank)

The fee is also disproportionate, According to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations – parking charges on private land must not exceed the cost to the landowner during the period the motorist is parked there. In my case it is free to park for 2 hours (which I did not exceed) so the charge of £90 you are asking for far exceeds the cost to the landowner.

In light of the above it is clear that I am not liable for the parking charge and I request that the parking charge notice is cancelled accordingly.

The letter I received from TPS states they are cancelling the charge as a gesture of goodwill and asks that I acknowledge the terms and conditions on future visits to the site.
  • Hello everyone. Thought I'd post regarding my recent success with Athena ANPR who manage quite a lot of Lidl carparks.

I recently parked in Lidl, Ashford, did my shopping, came back to the car and went home, assuming all was fine. Approximately one week later I received a letter through the post entitled parking charge notice blah blah blah...I had misread the signs and had apparently parked for 21 minutes more than the allowed time. :mad:

They were issuing a charge of £90. :angry:

I then appealed/complained on the following two grounds
    1. The unreasonableness of the charge - making reference to a council information website and demonstrating that the average charge per hour for public car parks was 83p.
    2. The 'Red Hand Rule' - you can find this on many parking ticket discussions.
    So I waited for 6 weeks and received this email in response:
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Thank you for your email in regards to the above parking charge.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]The car park is on private land and a private landowner is free to impose any terms they wish... The terms [of] ... use ...are clearly stipulated on the signage and people have the option not to park there if they disagree.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="]There are a sufficient number of signs in the car park, which clearly state...liable to pay a parking charge. When you drove into the car park and parked your vehicle, you agreed to the parking terms...photographic evidence to show that you failed to comply... [/FONT]

[FONT="]In order for us to review your appeal further we would firstly like to ask if you have any proof of shopping for the day or for other dates in the form of a receipt or bank statement. :undecided[/FONT]

[FONT="]Regards[/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Athena ANPR Ltd[/FONT]

So I searched my bank statements for 'Lidl' transactions during the previous 3 months and found none less than eleven. I emailed it back pronto and today I received the best news
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Thank you for your email in regards to the above parking charge.
    Please be advised your charge has been cancelled and confirmation is attached
    Regards
    Athena ANPR Ltd

Wooohooo:T
    [FONT=&quot]Thankyou for reading!
    [/FONT]
  • Mama9210
    Mama9210 Posts: 15 Forumite
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4750618

A link to my success with UKCPS. Motorist parked on private road with no signs and received 2 PCNs on different dates. After appealing the fake PCNs direct with UKCPS both were eventually cancelled without having to go to POPLA :j
  • The Rev might like to check the local rag on Friday 18th, I think they will be telling us that CEL have had their contract "negotiated to a conclusion" and are being replaced by TCP who are installing their gear today. Hope it's not just Whitby's site they've lost.

More info to report, will put it on a new thread.
  • The Rev might like to check the local rag on Friday 18th, I think they will be telling us that CEL have had their contract "negotiated to a conclusion" and are being replaced by TCP who are installing their gear today. Hope it's not just Whitby's site they've lost.

More info to report, will put it on a new thread.
  • Sounds good
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport