Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• The_AA_Company_Representative
    The_AA_Company_Representative Posts: 251 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello NormalPeopleWorryMe. We'd like to help stop the unwanted calls for you, please email [EMAIL="chat@theaa.com"]chat@theaa.com[/EMAIL] with Reference 11470. Regards The AA
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • InDebted2U_2
    Options
    I decided to go with Autonational (whom I used a couple of years ago). 15 months full vehicle cover (roadside, relay, at home, etc) for £66 minus approx £11 cashback. Slightly more than RAC after cashback, but wasn't willing to sign up to RAC's rolling payment agreement (allowing them to debit me again next year, rather than asking me first).

Any amount of money seems crazy for something you (hope to) never use, but the peace of mind against spending nearly £200 to get towed off a motorway without cover goes a long way! :)

Added benefit of this policy is that, being 15 months, it will move my breakdown cover renewal away from MOT & tax time of year! :money:
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
  • frenziedmonkey
    Options
    If you're after European breakdown cover but have noticed that the MSE voucher code for The Green Insurance Company expired on June 1st... don't panic!

There's another code you can use: enter ETHICAL2 at checkout and you can still score a 10% discount.

Now, strangely the Ethical Junction website says the code's valid until 31/01/2011... but I can confirm it still works, I've just used it! :j
  • huggermugger
    huggermugger Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have had Autoaid for the last three or four years & used them three times, all good experiences though I agree with the a review elsewhere that stated they're fine "if you're a bit independent". They use a network of approved providers which are basically local garages & breakdown recovery companies. Therefore the service varies a bit according to the particular garage that comes out to you. You are also free to find your own garage. They will recover you home or to another destination of your choice if the problem cannot be easily fixed (& I think the emphasis is on easily) by the roadside. Onward travel without the car is covered for you and 5 passengers, with an overnight hotel stay if needed. They also will recover if the vehicle is stolen or seriously vandalised & homestart is also covered. You do have to send the invoices off and wait for your money, but if you pay by credit card, that isn't an issue. You do need to take control of your own destiny a bit with the roadside guys, but I personally prefer that. I have a 10 year old car and have made it my business to know a bit about it. I have never had a problem with the refund element, my calls have been dealt with politely & help arrived very quickly. People don't arrive in a uniform & there is no sense of being part of a club - customer service from a lot of breakdown trucke drivers is a bit basic! But I have found them all to be pleasant, helpful & good at their job. I can't fault it for the money and am just about to renew yet again.:)
  • GAFFERCREDIT914
    Options
    Like me, my car is getting old.

I wondered if anyone knew the cheapest basic cover for 10 yr plus cars as the premiums (understandably) seem to jump a bit when the vehicle gets to this age

Thank you all !!!!!!!!! :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Skoota
    Skoota Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to find a new policy covering both my car and my bike, but also cover for my wife when she's using the car. Does anyone know of any companies that cover more than one vehicle?

Thanks.
  • flyingscot100
    Options
    My car is due for renewal next month and I am looking for decent deals. Not hoping for the car to break down but it's machine at the end of the day.

I was attracted by the Green Insurance Company's prices until I read customer reviews online that were all very negative.
    cheers
    flyingscot100
  • flyingscot100
    Options
    My car is due for renewal next month and I am looking for decent deals. Not hoping for the car to break down but it's machine at the end of the day.

I was also attracted by the Green Insurance Company's prices until I read customer reviews online that were all very negative.
    cheers
    flyingscot100
  • Gorf123
    Gorf123 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...the service varies a bit according to the particular garage that comes out to you. You are also free to find your own garage...
    I've just broken down and remembered that it's my wife (and me, by default) who are covered by AutoAid, not the cars. I'd already sorted out recovery with my local garage. It occurred to me that I might need to let them know in advance, but I'm OK to just sort it out and the first they know about it is when I send the bill - apparently.

I can see that system being closed down, it must be open to abuse...?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    it must be open to abuse...?

Actually it's the other way round.
    Lots of people simply forget that they can claim or don't get round to it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback