IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Administration fees on parking charges?

Options
I was recently issued with a charge notice by Highview Parking when I inadvertently exceeded the permitted parking time at a Tesco Store in Llanelli, S Wales.It would appear that there is no way at all - either by credit/debit/cheque etc- to pay the charge without incurring a so-called "administration fee", varying from about £1.00 to £2.50 and/or premium rate call charges if paying by phone. Is this practice legal ? PS I am currently appealing the charge due to the complete lack of adequate signage at the entrance. Can any member offer advice about this company and their appeals procedure as it seems impossible to speak to a human being at their offices to discuss the matter.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If it is Highview, just send the standard BLUE text appeal that you will find in the NEWBIE section nearby where you clicked on the NEW THREAD button. Also search the forum for other HIGHVIEW cases.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Edit your post to remove clues to the driver's identity.

Yes they can charge an admin fee for accepting payment - as long as that fee is the same for all methods of payment.

Why on earth do you want to speak to someone? The advice here is never to phone a parking company.

Send the blue template appeal that you will find in post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Send it unchanged - no additions or alterations necessary.

Send it as the keeper.

Have you complained to the manager at Tesco Llanelli?

Point out to him that there are other supermarkets available, and if there is going to be an excessive surcharge to shop there, then you and your family and friends will have to shop elsewhere.
  • Parkingfines
    Options
    The phone line that is quoted by Highview Parking Is NOT actually staffed by any employees of Highview (not that you should be calling them)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What do you intend to do if the add-on charges are not legitimate? It won't make your parking charge go away.

Win your appeal and those add-ons disappear as fast as the £60/£100 they are currently demanding from you. Don't distract yourself from dealing with the main issue.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It would appear that there is no way at all - either by credit/debit/cheque etc- to pay the charge without incurring a so-called "administration fee", varying from about £1.00 to £2.50 and/or premium rate call charges if paying by phone.

Why try to pay a scammer,

Does their web site quote these charges

I would have a word with OFCOM about this
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    PS I am currently appealing the charge due to the complete lack of adequate signage at the entrance.

I hope you used the forum template and didn't blab about who was driving? Highview are beaten 100% of the time by just using the template in the NEWBIES thread and not giving away the driver.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This may well be a matter for you local Trading Standards Officer. AFAIAA credit card surcharges were outlawed earlier this year.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/01/cards-fees-to-be-banned-from-saturday/
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure