Made redundant but new roles created at lesser wage

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help.

I've just been made redundant and have an appeal meeting on 4th so any advice would be grateful.

Im an Executive Personal Assistant and my boss (Chairman) retired. Only 4% of my time was work for him, the rest covered the Senior Team and the rest of the business. I was told my job was at risk due to the business rationale that they didn't consider there was a need for this level of admin support. I was then pooled with the MD's own PA and told we could both apply for the role of his PA.

I successfully argued my case that there was more than enough work still for 2 people. They decided to great 2 new positions with new job totles, Office Manager (included PA support to the MD) and an Office Manager Assistant role which would result in a £15k pay cut for me.

I applied for the Senior role, as did the existing PA, and she was successful and I was made redundant. I believe it was all predetermined to get rid of me as I had supported my colleague in a grievance against the MD a few months prior.

The bit I really need to understand is if there were still 2 positions, with similar job descriptions, just with a much lesser salary, is that a genuine redundancy situation?

If the rationale had been to save money I could understand it as i was on a much higher salary than the MD's PA, but this has nothing to do with money.

Any advice?
Thanks
S

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Your job has gone.

Did you want the other lower paid job as a suitable alternative?
  • It has a £15k pay cut so I didn't consider it a suitable alternative.

So my question is that as it is the same duties just under a different title for a lower salary then it isn't a genuine redundancy is it?
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds fine to me (not a lawyer). They've looked at the business needs, drafted new roles and determined salary levels and have given you chance to apply. Unless you can prove you've been discrimminated against somehow then I can't see any way forward.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The bit I really need to understand is if there were still 2 positions, with similar job descriptions, just with a much lesser salary, is that a genuine redundancy situation?

Yep. Your role is being made redundant. The new roles are clearly a different structure. The assistant role will be just that - assisting the other person with admin.

And frankly two senior PAs is excessive for anything but a very large company.

You may think that this is somehow related to your performance, but unless you have proof of that it won't really get you anywhere. It does suck, and it isn't really fair, but it's still common practice in the UK for companies to use redundancies to oust certain people, and although technically not a lawful use of redundancies there's little that can be done about it.

My advice would be to focus on applying elsewhere.
  • getmore4less
    Even in cases where you want someone out and are not changing the jobs you can do it very easily.

eg two people doing the same thing

you create a reduction in workload in the area.
    make one redundant.
    Leave it a bit(**depends on the nature of the reduction).
    put the work back and realise you need more people.
    recruit.

If the reduction was say lost a contract redundant.
    Then got another contract(even if you knew it was coming) you can recruit.

If it was manufactured to make the redundancy 3 months will do the job.
  • getmore4less
    edited 4 January 2019 at 7:11AM
    If the rationale had been to save money I could understand it as i was on a much higher salary than the MD's PA, but this has nothing to do with money.

Everything you said before this points to the money?
    What were they paying before for the two jobs?
    What are they paying now?

If its not money what is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family