Pet Insurance Renewal

I've just got my renewal through from Petplan and it's edging up to £45 a month for 2 cats (1 of which had a lot of prior illness so a lot of things aren't covered). Am I supposed to haggle with Petplan as it's not like other insurance where I can just go elsewhere (as other companies are going to not cover for anything that was previously wrong with them) or do I just accept that the cover is there if they need it and just pay the price?

Comments

• Definitely haggle or look elsewhere. Some things might not be covered but that won't be a change. I pay £40 for 4 cats from more than.
  • It is really a nice post
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    I've just got my renewal through from Petplan and it's edging up to £45 a month for 2 cats (1 of which had a lot of prior illness so a lot of things aren't covered). Am I supposed to haggle with Petplan as it's not like other insurance where I can just go elsewhere (as other companies are going to not cover for anything that was previously wrong with them) or do I just accept that the cover is there if they need it and just pay the price?
    You can try haggle over the phone however, if you change policy (even with the same company), any illness/injury prior to the new policy will not be covered. e.g. in 2014 one of your cats had a limp - that cat would no longer be covered for any lameness injury, in 2015 one of your cats had vomiting - any sickness/diarrhoea/gastrointestinal disease would not be covered etc. Its a minefield, £45 is not a bad policy price for 2 cats (depending of course on what your cover is etc). I can tell you honestly that it will make it a difference if you ever have to come in for emergency/diagnostic treatment for a disease/injury. The cost of veterinary care is expensive due to the massive overheads associated with running a hospital/practice and its not going to get any cheaper.
  • I always hated paying vet insurance then I got hit for over £5000 following a trip to the horsey hospital...

Check whats getting covered if you change for something cheaper... you may also find your getting less amount cover eg up to £1000 instead of upto 5000 worth of vet bills.
    # 36 1p challenge 2024 - £319.98

#13 POYD by Christmas 24  £1450/£8138

February Grocery Challenge  /300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills