Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue

Options

Comments

• Helenjohanna
    Options
    I'm really unsure now. Should I send a letter explaining my actions and demanding that they close my account? I did email at least twice asking to cancel some time ago, but my emails were ignored. It wasn't until the August that I checked the small print and realised that it had to be in writing to a postal address. Oops. But the process wasn't explained in the one email they did send telling me that I couldn't cancel until August.

I'm feeling lost now. I don't want threatening letters - they will stress me out!
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    People are different so I understand how you feel.

I would also just tell them to get lose.

But you could give 30 days notice, do not use them. You could enclose a cheque I suppose for the notice period. Check your contract. I am positive it will say monthly rolling contract. Then block them on your phone. There letter means nothing, it would have to go to court first and I don't believe they will dare do that.

Oh and don't waste your time trying to talk reason {Text removed by MSE Forum Team} it wont help. Don't engage, do the above and then ignore and that includes letters. Only come back here if you have a letter from the Country Court. The rest is just bluff.
  • Helenjohanna
    Options
    If I get a letter from the County Court, does that mean charges will have already been added on? If I give 30 days' notice even though I've already stopped the direct debit, does that look a bit weird? I can do a search in my emails and try to find my contract, but I bet it will say that it switched to a year. I bet it changed!
  • I have cover with them I took them a week to come out after I had to call the engineer myself to come out then then tell me I have to pay £195+ VAT for parts and labour even tho I paid £75 excess now all they tell me is that it’s in there t&c and that it’s my fault I should have read through them so I had a look and it said basically they have the choice what they pay for so the cover was basically useless. Now they won’t let me leave they want £140 upfront Dono what to do
  • Helenjohanna
    Options
    That's what happened to me. I had to pay an excess, then a few hundred, and they took days to come out, even though I was supposedly prioritised. I had no heating and no hot water for over a week and a small son. Having the cover made no difference at all to cost or time it took. It was more expensive than just calling a plumber! Then they increased my charges hugely.

As I've above, my bank stopped the direct debit, but now I'm getting hassled by text and I'm expecting debt collector letters, which will really stress me out.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Do you think this lot would ever take you to court? personally I would take them to the small claims court to get back your money - and show the judge this thread!
  • Helenjohanna
    Options
    Gosh, I don't know. I keep wondering if I should write a letter explaining why the charges are unfair and the company's tactics are unethical, but would opening that dialogue create more problems?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Gosh, I don't know. I keep wondering if I should write a letter explaining why the charges are unfair and the company's tactics are unethical, but would opening that dialogue create more problems?

Write to whom?

If you took them to the Small Claims court I suspect they would settle out of court rather than have their modus operandi exposed.

It isn't costly and you don't need a solicitor.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

To be fair. You asked us and we have given an answer..........they will not care. If you still want to try then that's fine.
  • Helenjohanna
    Options
    Yes, I know I got my answer from you on here and, so far, I have followed that advice and I am grateful. I agree that that's fair. I can't help worrying though. I'm receiving lots of texts from them warning that I'm building arrears, hence I've commented on here a few more times. I'm not meaning to ignore advice. Sorry if it came across that way.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback