DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    tillboy wrote: »
    I’m in a similar predicament, I’ve written and emailed but basically had no response at all, my current plan it to keep ignoring their demand until they take some kind of enforcement action or pass to debt collectors so I then have an “in”not sure if this is the best approach and hopefully somebody else can offer advice...

They are a nightmare. I’ve searched around the Internet and they seem to just demand full payment or sell it to a DCA. Hopefully someone has had a positive experience with them.. otherwise it does look like it’s going to a DCA. :(
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OohSoHolly wrote: »
    They are a nightmare. I’ve searched around the Internet and they seem to just demand full payment or sell it to a DCA. Hopefully someone has had a positive experience with them.. otherwise it does look like it’s going to a DCA. :(

Not the end of the world.

Most DCA’s are very easy to deal with these days.

Original creditors do not have the time or the staff to chase up bad debts, that’s why they sell them on and they become someone else’s problem.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Not the end of the world.

Most DCA’s are very easy to deal with these days.

Original creditors do not have the time or the staff to chase up bad debts, that’s why they sell them on and they become someone else’s problem.

So I’m going to ask a daft question now..

If I do get a letter from a DCA do I contact them directly or ask StepChange to contact them? Are they likely to accept the monthly payment offered by StepChange or is this all dependent on the DCA?

Thanks
  • jak669
    jak669 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started my dmp at the beginning of June and made two payments so far. I have a next account which doesn!!!8217;t have a balance and I have just had an email from them stating they have received information from Experian and are putting my account on hold. Is this usual for Experian to contact companies I have credit with even though I don!!!8217;t owe them anything.

I am slightly worried that they will contact my mortgage company and tell them about my difficulties.

I thought it would only be those in my dmp that would be aware.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    OohSoHolly wrote: »
    So I’m going to ask a daft question now..

If I do get a letter from a DCA do I contact them directly or ask StepChange to contact them? Are they likely to accept the monthly payment offered by StepChange or is this all dependent on the DCA?

Thanks

If your paying your debts via stepchange, you simply tell them that, give them your SC ref number, and refer it to them.

It can be a lot of work doing a DMP, this is why I prefer insolvency as everyone must follow the same protocol, you will end up writing a lot of letters most likely but if it’s your only option, you have to run with it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    Options
    jak669 wrote: »

I am slightly worried that they will contact my mortgage company and tell them about my difficulties.

I thought it would only be those in my dmp that would be aware.

They cannot do that, it would be a serious breech of the data protection act, and they would be in serious trouble.
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Rebeccadougherty Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2018 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Hi all

Usually when I post my posts seem to get missed, Ive probably waffled about the same thing already anyway but Im just having an off day with the whole DMP thing and just wanted to write it somewhere.. Its coming up for a year IVe been on the DMP and hes mostly gone fairly easily, I had a few reduced payments but I been bad at saving it the extra money. I will do better. My boyfriend doesnt know, I don!t want to tell him but we are meant to be moving at some point and he wants us to get a mortgage. I want to do this with him but I have this debt hanging over me if just over 20,000, I already paid nearly 5,000 if the debt through StepChange. I really dont know what to do and I really know I should told him about my debt to begin with and now it just seems Im too far into pretending my money situation is better than it is for me to say anything. I dont want it to affect us or lose him over this. I feel utterly worthless and dishonest but I havent meant to be.im just ashamed.. Is there any way that we could get a mortgage and nobody would have to find out how useless I am? My boyfriend has a really really good job, hes a programmer and earns a lot more than me, so he already does understand I have less money than he does. But he doesnt know about the debt. And he DMP. Just feeling really down about it :(
  • jak669
    jak669 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    They cannot do that, it would be a serious breech of the data protection act, and they would be in serious trouble.

So have Experian breached data protection by letting Next know. I don’t owe Next anything but they were informed by Experian. This is what the message said

By way of explanation we have recently received updated information from the credit reference agency Experian. This information includes the way in which you are managing other credit facilities.

If Next have received this - would my mortgage company receive this?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    jak669 wrote: »
    So have Experian breached data protection by letting Next know. I don’t owe Next anything but they were informed by Experian. This is what the message said

By way of explanation we have recently received updated information from the credit reference agency Experian. This information includes the way in which you are managing other credit facilities.

If Next have received this - would my mortgage company receive this?

As long as your paying your mortgage you have nothing to worry about.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Hi all

Usually when I post my posts seem to get missed, Ive probably waffled about the same thing already anyway but Im just having an off day with the whole DMP thing and just wanted to write it somewhere.. Its coming up for a year IVe been on the DMP and hes mostly gone fairly easily, I had a few reduced payments but I been bad at saving it the extra money. I will do better. My boyfriend doesnt know, I don!t want to tell him but we are meant to be moving at some point and he wants us to get a mortgage. I want to do this with him but I have this debt hanging over me if just over 20,000, I already paid nearly 5,000 if the debt through StepChange. I really dont know what to do and I really know I should told him about my debt to begin with and now it just seems Im too far into pretending my money situation is better than it is for me to say anything. I dont want it to affect us or lose him over this. I feel utterly worthless and dishonest but I havent meant to be.im just ashamed.. Is there any way that we could get a mortgage and nobody would have to find out how useless I am? My boyfriend has a really really good job, hes a programmer and earns a lot more than me, so he already does understand I have less money than he does. But he doesnt know about the debt. And he DMP. Just feeling really down about it :(

Rebecca, have you considered other options, a DRO maybe, if you can get the debt to less than 20k, have no assets or a car worth over 1k, and have less than £50 disposable income at month end, you may qualify and get it all over with after a year, then your credit will gradually improve over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure