Energy switch

lagib
lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Just changed energy supplier, through MSE cheap energy club, from Green Network Energy to One select with a monthly direct debit reducing from £105.83 to £99.52. By my books that is a big saving. I have taken a risk with joining a small company but their customer care record is good. I would say however, that my telephone contact with them was not a good experience as I joined a long queue of callers and never did get to speak to anyone and this happened twice. I had to email them finally and they did respond with an apology to say they had experienced many calls at the time. I don't believe them entirely and expect the same delay in response each time I have to call. I think it is a problem with small companies as my daughter has just joined Avro Energy (another small company) and has experienced the same thing.

Thankyou MSE Cheap Energy Club whom I swear by.:j

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is the switch progressing OK ?

What do you need to talk to them about ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah that is the problem with small companies.

I concluded it was worth spending £30 a year to be able to get hold of them when required.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    lagib wrote: »
    I would say however, that my telephone contact with them was not a good experience as I joined a long queue of callers and never did get to speak to anyone and this happened twice. I had to email them finally and they did respond with an apology to say they had experienced many calls at the time. I don't believe them entirely and expect the same delay in response each time I have to call. I think it is a problem with small companies as my daughter has just joined Avro Energy (another small company) and has experienced the same thing.j
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Yeah that is the problem with small companies.

I concluded it was worth spending £30 a year to be able to get hold of them when required.

That is something of a sweeping generalisation! I have had calls answered quickly with small companies, and answered after a very long wait with big companies. There are so many different suppliers that it really is meaningless to generalise that all small companies have long waiting times.

My current providers are both centred on electronic communication: one via e-mail and the other via web-chat. With the e-mail I have always got a meaningful response the same day, and with the web-chat I have been speaking to someone within less than a minute.

I do have to say, however, that I don't contact my energy company that often. I provided my meter readings online - regularly - and they bill me correctly. It is pretty rare, therefore for me to need to contact them, but on the rare occasions that I do, the response is swift and issues dealt with efficiently. I do wonder somewhat about people who always seem to be phoning their suppliers; what is it that you need to talk to them about so much?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I had such big problems trying to get hold of IRESA a year ago by phone. And the OP appears to have similar probs with another company.

Maybe you could tell me which small energy companies are good at answering the phone for the benefit of others.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I had such big problems trying to get hold of IRESA a year ago by phone. And the OP appears to have similar probs with another company.

Maybe you could tell me which small energy companies are good at answering the phone for the benefit of others.

Iresa are notorious, to the extent that the regulator has banned them from taking on new customers because of their appalling customer service.

I'm not sure that my anecdotal and out of date experiences are of much use to you. My point was about gross generalisations regarding small companies. As I said previously, my current suppliers, and the ones before that are focused on electronic communication, rather than telephone, but all respond swiftly and efficiently, whether through web-chat or e-mail. FWIW, my gas supplier is Zog (has been for several years) who use e-mail and normally reply, with a response that solves the issue, within a few hours. Electricity is currently with Outfox the Market, who respond on web-chat in less than a minute. Now, queue all the people who are unhappy with one, or both, of them.
  • I switched recently from EDF to Affect through MSE. Mondsy evening at 19.25 a chap knocked on my door to read the meter. He stared at it for ages but didnt leave a card. I asked why he was sent and he said there was a 'discrepancy'. I said I didnt understand as I had just switched. He said 'that'll be it then'.

He talked a lot and as he left I realised there was no identification on his orange lanyard. I thought it had twisted round.

Yesterday I had my first email from Affect energy - asking me to read my meter!!

It was 18.00 and they closed at 17.50 so I sent an email which they wont see until Monday.

Has anyone else had this happen ?
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    That is something of a sweeping generalisation! I have had calls answered quickly with small companies, and answered after a very long wait with big companies. There are so many different suppliers that it really is meaningless to generalise that all small companies have long waiting times.

My current providers are both centred on electronic communication: one via e-mail and the other via web-chat. With the e-mail I have always got a meaningful response the same day, and with the web-chat I have been speaking to someone within less than a minute.

I do have to say, however, that I don't contact my energy company that often. I provided my meter readings online - regularly - and they bill me correctly. It is pretty rare, therefore for me to need to contact them, but on the rare occasions that I do, the response is swift and issues dealt with efficiently. I do wonder somewhat about people who always seem to be phoning their suppliers; what is it that you need to talk to them about so much?
    A somewhat late response but apologies. I was not inferring that only small companies are difficult to contact even though it sounded like it, only that I had this experience with this company. I rarely contact my energy supplier as I too supply monthly meter readings but in my case it was early days during the switch and I had pertinent questions that needed a quick answer.
  • Even the cheaper BG tariffs are now called Everything Online, and you have to contact them electronically not via phone. Saving me £200ish though so worth doing.
  • I joined the Cheap Energy Club (CEC) about three years ago and have used it twice to switch, these have gone well, but this one to Green Network Energy hasn't happened at all to date, my current provider is E-ON and my year long tariff with them runs out on Monday the 8th of October 2018,

I started my switch on the 19th of September 2018 to Green Network Energy, that is two weeks and three days ago, according to the CEC I should here within two weeks, well that has passed and not a dicky bird, This is one of the recommended tariffs by CEC and I got in before the deadline which they estimated as the 26th of September 2018.

There was £25.00 cash back and I would make a saving of £90.00 a year, so because I haven't heard at all from Green Network Energy (I've even called them and the say they have no record of any switch from CEC), I will now lose any discount, because I will go on the E-On standard tariff on Monday the 8th of October 2018.

I am really frustrated and worried, because I am on a very low income and really don't know how I am to meet the cost of E-On's standard tariff?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It certainly used to be the case that if you started a move before the end of the tariff, they had to keep you on that rate until you left. Someone will confirm or not whether that still applies. If it does, make a move again now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure