Glass conservatory roof panel smashed

Hi all

Approx. 2 years ago we had a conservatory with glass roof double glazed panels. On Saturday we came back after being out to find the floor covered with glass. The inner panel had shattered.

I have started the ball rolling with getting a replacement unit from the conservatory manufacturers but I now this this is a major safety issue and I am looking round to see if there are any installers of the film that can be applied in insitu that will hold the glass in the event of this happening again

Has anyone got any experiences of this or any recommendations for this kind of service.

I am not a worrying person usually but this has got me extremely concerned regarding safety

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought the 'film' was standard? We've been lucky so far, but a neighbour lost an outer panel to a flying roof tile. The glass stayed in one piece, although it was a mass of cracks.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    3card wrote: »
    Hi all

Approx. 2 years ago we had a conservatory with glass roof double glazed panels. On Saturday we came back after being out to find the floor covered with glass. The inner panel had shattered.

I have started the ball rolling with getting a replacement unit from the conservatory manufacturers but I now this this is a major safety issue and I am looking round to see if there are any installers of the film that can be applied in insitu that will hold the glass in the event of this happening again

Has anyone got any experiences of this or any recommendations for this kind of service.

I am not a worrying person usually but this has got me extremely concerned regarding safety

By shattered do you mean that it was broken into a million little bits? if so then this is toughened safety glass. If it hasn't and it has fell down in big clumps then this is not a safety glass. If it was lamintated (2 sheets of glass with a film between) then it would have broke, but stayed in one piece.
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Geodark wrote: »
    By shattered do you mean that it was broken into a million little bits? if so then this is toughened safety glass. If it hasn't and it has fell down in big clumps then this is not a safety glass. If it was lamintated (2 sheets of glass with a film between) then it would have broke, but stayed in one piece.

Hi

Yes it was in a million little pieces and I also know it was toughened glass.
    I have spoken to a few companies this morning and they have all confirmed that this sounds ok to current standards I find it hard to believe that it shouldn't be laminated.
    They also told me that this type of occurrence is very rare

I have also spoken to a company this morning about fitting a film and I have arranged for them to come round to have a look and give me a quotation
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Hi

Yes it was in a million little pieces and I also know it was toughened glass.
    I have spoken to a few companies this morning and they have all confirmed that this sounds ok to current standards I find it hard to believe that it shouldn't be laminated.
    They also told me that this type of occurrence is very rare

I have also spoken to a company this morning about fitting a film and I have arranged for them to come round to have a look and give me a quotation

You had the conservatory built to your Specification, you managed and inspected the work and you faced up to your legal duties regarding safety.. This means if you are now unhappy with your decision to specify toughened glass then you cannot blame the installers. Indeed, from a legal perspective, you are in dodgy area under your legal duties under the CDM Regs.

Viewed in a different light, conservatory design and installation is all an unregulated area of work. Which means anything goes, and toughened glass roofs will be installed in many instances. Since everything is unregulated the consumer is giving conservatory companies a free habnd to do as they please. Unless of course they manage and control this, and face up to their legal duties. It seems you fell short here.
  • 3card
    3card Posts: 437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2018 at 4:55PM
    Furts wrote: »
    You had the conservatory built to your Specification, you managed and inspected the work and you faced up to your legal duties regarding safety.. This means if you are now unhappy with your decision to specify toughened glass then you cannot blame the installers. Indeed, from a legal perspective, you are in dodgy area under your legal duties under the CDM Regs.

Viewed in a different light, conservatory design and installation is all an unregulated area of work. Which means anything goes, and toughened glass roofs will be installed in many instances. Since everything is unregulated the consumer is giving conservatory companies a free habnd to do as they please. Unless of course they manage and control this, and face up to their legal duties. It seems you fell short here.

Contrary to your comments not only am i NOT blaming any installers but i am always recommending them. I cant fault the company at all.
  • Furts
    Contrary to your comments not only am i NOT blaming any installers but i am always recommending them. I cant fault the company at all.

The current hot spell is showing up weakness and bad workmanship with conservatory construction. Just like with your example the glazed units on roofs are failing. Bad workmanship and poor practice are culprits. To this one adds the wider question of why toughened glass was ever used in these roofs. Such use is folly.

It bewilders me that when such points are made consumers still recommend the company that installed their defective conservatory. This is doing no favours to genuine consumers who genuinely care about seeking a genuine company.
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm surprised to hear this, my conservatory is being replaced and according to the fitters my old glass was not toughened which set alarm bells ringing.
    They told me it is against safety regulations to install non-toughened glass on a conservatory roof in case a tile came down or something which makes sense really, i suppose there is no way of knowing if it's toughened unless the worst happens and many rouge Companies can take advantage of this.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    To this one adds the wider question of why toughened glass was ever used in these roofs. Such use is folly.

Sorry Furts, but I'd rather have a million pieces of glass rain down on me than a couple of jagged sheets ala "The hand that rocks the cradle"

'Tis not folly to use toughened glass - it's 'standard'.

Even the market leader only specifies Laminated glass as a 'Security' measure - not a safety measure - safely is toughened!

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 7:41PM
    Why not get plastic sheet, though it may cut down the UV to the plants. Do think polycarbonate degrades with uv and looses its strength, unless you find and outside variant or laminate

Acrylic is more uv resistant, but not as strong. The polycab rectangular sheet, one used for roofs is rated about 10 years.
  • Furts
    Ruski wrote: »
    Sorry Furts, but I'd rather have a million pieces of glass rain down on me than a couple of jagged sheets ala "The hand that rocks the cradle"

'Tis not folly to use toughened glass - it's 'standard'.

Even the market leader only specifies Laminated glass as a 'Security' measure - not a safety measure - safely is toughened!

HTH

Russ

Safety for a window or door can be toughened, it can equally be laminated. Here it is down to the consumer on what they specify. The conservatory industry take this further, Because they are an unregulated industry that make their own rules it is no surprise that toughened gets used. It is a good earner replacing the units! But consumers can specify laminated. It is simply a matter of how many care.

As I type this I am sat under a large Velux window in my office. Needless to say this large Velux was specified and supplied with laminated glass. I have experienced moments when I am very pleased that such a decision was made! Were it toughened I suspect it would have been replaced a couple of times over recent years. Instead it is laminated and it has resisted impacts with no ill effects.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure