Conditional job offer withdrawn even though I fulfil conditions

esamantha21
esamantha21 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 12 April 2018 at 10:06PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi all,

Abut a month ago i was offered an Internal post l where i currently work. The managers who interviewed me were keen to take me on a foresaw no issues.

I received a conditional offer of employment, which stated it was conditional on references, sickness absence checks and evidence of essential qualifications.
They called me today stating the offer had been withdrawn due to lack of evidence of essential qualifications despite this not being brought up at all in the last month.

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do you have a recognised project management qualification I.e. APM or prince2 or have you just done some cobbled together internal training course?
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the qualification was listed as an "essential" in the person specification and it is a local authority, they may well have a policy which says they can only appoint if all the essentials are met. They now realise that you do not - perhaps they misread your application (not your fault) or interviewed you because you were an internal candidate.

By changing the criteria so that the PM qualification is no longer essential and if you meet the criteria of being a graduate then if you reapplied then they could appoint you as you would then meet the essential criteria which you did not on the first run.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hold on; you've edited your post for clairty but I'm sure when I read this yesterday the qualification needed was a project management one, which you had experience of / an internal course, but not the actual qualification.

Did I imagine that?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Obviously the OP did not like the first answer they got so decided to change the question in the hope of improving the outcome
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hold on; you've edited your post for clairty but I'm sure when I read this yesterday the qualification needed was a project management one, which you had experience of / an internal course, but not the actual qualification.

Did I imagine that?

That's right. I'm not sure why op would change.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not really sure what the question is. If it's 'can they do this' the answer is yes.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have the "essential qualifications"?

If yes, submit evidence.

If no, there's not a lot you can do, other than relying on goodwill - it's called a "conditional offer" for a reason, and you've just found out the reason.

In terms of relying on goodwill, it would be helpful if you could "prove" or show in some way that you disclosed the fact that you did not have these qualifications, and were told it wasn't a problem, or otherwise allowed to proceed.

Some qualifications are mandatory for some roles. Others are highly desirable, but not the be all and end all. Organisations may have policies re. qualifications, and the extent to which these have any flexibility depends on the company, and, to a certain extent, the person they're looking to employ - sometimes the rules can be bent to secure the right person, other times not.

But in terms of 'can they do this', 'is it legal' and 'do I have any rights', the answers are yes, yes and no, respectively.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure