Con artists - "Approved Garages"

hucker
hucker Posts: 112 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I recently had the misfortune to use the "Farmers Autocare" garage in Alloa. When I tried to leave a negative review on "Approved Garages", it was rejected. Why? They only allow positive reviews, and it seems the garage is a "paid member" of the website. When I accused them of bribery they got shirty with me. When I informed them of the mostly bad reviews on Google about Farmers Autocare, they ignored me, and when I told them they refused to fit my own parts, they gave me some rubbish about an EU ruling about using approved parts (which are 4 times the price by the way). Seems like "approved garages" is an excuse to overcharge customers.

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think if I had a garage it would be unlikely that I would agree to fit customer supplied parts, if they failed I haven't got any comeback on the supplier and it would be a lose lose situation. However, I've never tried it so some garages may be okay with it.
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hucker wrote: »
    I recently had the misfortune to use the "Farmers Autocare" garage in Alloa. When I tried to leave a negative review on "Approved Garages", it was rejected. Why? They only allow positive reviews, and it seems the garage is a "paid member" of the website. When I accused them of bribery they got shirty with me. When I informed them of the mostly bad reviews on Google about Farmers Autocare, they ignored me, and when I told them they refused to fit my own parts, they gave me some rubbish about an EU ruling about using approved parts (which are 4 times the price by the way). Seems like "approved garages" is an excuse to overcharge customers.

Many garages have a policy of sourcing parts themselves to avoid issues with lower quality aftermarket parts. Is that all you've got to moan about?
  • hucker
    The next garage I went to had no problem fitting them. I will not pay markup on parts, and I never asked for any kind of warranty on the work. The only reason the garage won't fit my parts is so they can overcharge me for theirs. And it's not a small amount either, it's £60 for a £15 part. And if you type Farmers Autocare Alloa into Google, you'll see they rip everyone off - 2.7 out of 5 for reviews! They're known locally as the cowboys.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    [...] they gave me some rubbish about an EU ruling about using approved parts (which are 4 times the price by the way). Seems like "approved garages" is an excuse to overcharge customers.

It's not an "EU ruling", it's called type approval. And it's the UK Road Traffic Act (s.76) that makes it an offence for anyone to supply or fit non-approved parts.

All aftermarket parts legitimately sold in this country carry type approval, random crap you buy on EBay for 1/4 of the cost probably doesn't - even if it has the relevant logos on it they're likely to be as fake as the parts.

If caught the garage could be fined. If the improper (ie: no traceable type approval) part resulted in an accident the garage could be held criminally liable. Both of those apply regardless of who supplied it because FITTING it is an offence in its own right.

So no, they're not "conning" by refusing to fit some random bits supplied by you, they're just making sure they stay the right side of the law.
  • hucker
    edited 22 July 2018 at 10:18PM
    Whatever they're doing they're overcharging. Just read the Google reviews. I came on here to save people money, if you're not interested that's fine by me. And I voted to leave the EU, I will not abide by any EU regulation. And I very very much doubt any garage would be disobeying it if it was a UK law.

Oh and the parts came from Eurocarparts. If you want to accuse them of selling substandard parts, go ahead.

Here are the reviews if you can't be bothered looking:

Robert Kedra:

I brought the car to Farmers Alloa because of a knocking noise in the front wheels.
    I was told it is either a gear box fixing cost £2,000 or driver!!!8217;s shaft £400.
    They told me they are uncertain and told me it is safe to drive and come back when it becomes louder.
    The other day I had too call AA to attend my car because it was really loud. AA fixed it stating it was very loose screws on the right wheel. He tightened them saying it was very unsafe to drive like that. It!!!8217;s safe now.
    I called farmers the same day explaining what happened and demanded to speak to a manager. I was told the manager will call me.
    Farmers never returned my call.

I dont recommend at all.
    This isn!!!8217;t the first time but most serious.

Brian Hatley:

Cheap MOT's but will try to get extra out you. Failed my car, did the repairs myself and saw that there was little wrong with the part (tie rod). They described "so badly worn its almost hanging off". Have to pay for partial rest (I know places can charge but ive have never in 19 years of driving), was £13.50, for 1min 50s work. Watched and timed him do it. Then 2 mins to print form. That was bringing the car back the same day for retest as well.. Wont be back.

Alexander Inglis

I'm writing this for a friend as it won't let him leave a review . Do not go to this garage . Completely ripped him off. His car is un drivable now . They charged him fortune and didn't even fix car . Left lots parts not attached and he having to tow it to ford to get them to check it .

B18C4 Racer

My Honda CRV developed a leak in the exhaust. Two of the three bolts which bolt the catalytic convertor to the mid-section had sheared. My wife took it to Farmers Autocare in Alloa. After inspection by a fitter was told it needed a complete new exhaust including a new catalytic convertor. Total cost estimate £450 - £650.
    I was immediately suspicious of his assessment especially when I asked him for a report and he produced a form with three words written on it;- cat, middle section and rear section.
    I found this to be most unsatisfactory and booked my car into CJ Autos in Kelliebank, Alloa. They drilled out the pieces of sheared bolt and put new bolts in the flange to seal the joint. Cost of repair £30. CJ Autos also told me the exhaust does not replacing and Farmer's were mistaken in their assessment.
    I would avoid this company. I can hear the rattling of their spurs..........!

Jeffy Jeffy

Try to rip me of for over £350 today which other garages priced no more than £100...chancers stay away people
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    I took a burger and some buns to McDonalds this weekend and wanted them to cook the items for me. They refused. Absolute rip off merchants.
  • hucker
    Hardly the same thing. Most of the cost of eating at McDonalds is the cost of the labour. With a garage 50% of the cost is the part (or so gullible customers believe). In fact they add markup on that part so you're paying them twice.

There is no law stating a garage cannot fit customer parts, only that the garage can be held responsible if it fails (and when does that ever happen?). A mechanic will be able to tell if you've given him something dodgy.

I for one will only use garages that do what I ask them. If I give him a part, I expect it to be fitted, and I will not pay £60 for a £15 part.

And have you actually read the Google reviews?!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hardly the same thing. Most of the cost of eating at McDonalds is the cost of the labour. With a garage 50% of the cost is the part (or so gullible customers believe). In fact they add markup on that part so you're paying them twice.

There is no law stating a garage cannot fit customer parts, only that the garage can be held responsible if it fails (and when does that ever happen?). A mechanic will be able to tell if you've given him something dodgy.

I for one will only use garages that do what I ask them. If I give him a part, I expect it to be fitted, and I will not pay £60 for a £15 part.

And have you actually read the Google reviews?!

Surely the time to research and check reviews is before you drop your car off? If Google is full of negative reviews that are easy to find did you simply fancy a gamble?
  • hucker
    I went there because they have a very low MOT fee and were very reasonable at doing my tyres previously. I used to have a decent local garage but the owner retired. I didn't know there were garage reviews on the net until I tried to write my own.

It's about time markup was made illegal. Charging £60 for a £15 part is the theft of £45.

I'll be using another garage in future (a chain that does fit customer parts).
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    [...] I voted to leave the EU, I will not abide by any EU regulation. And I very very much doubt any garage would be disobeying it if it was a UK law.

Oh and the parts came from Eurocarparts. If you want to accuse them of selling substandard parts, go ahead.

I already gave you the reference, here's the exact passage:
    76 Fitting and supply of defective or unsuitable vehicle parts.
    (1)If any person—
    (a)fits a vehicle part to a vehicle
    , or
    (b)causes or permits a vehicle part to be fitted to a vehicle,in such circumstances that the use of the vehicle on a road would, by reason of that part being fitted to the vehicle [F1involve a danger of injury to any person or], constitute a contravention of or failure to comply with any of the construction and use requirements, he is guilty of an offence.

The C&U regulations, in turn, require parts to have type approval.

As for the source of the parts. it doesn't matter. You say they came from Eurocarparts, I (and they) only have your word for that. Even if you wave a receipt for them, there's no guarantee that the parts in the box are the ones from euro.

Businesses have to be able to TRACE their legal obligations if there's a problem and "Mr Hucker said it came from ECP" really wouldn't cut it when it turns out to be a Chinese knock off made of asbestos and rhino horn.

As for "very much doubt any garage would be disobeying it if it was a UK law" are you for real? Have you any idea how easy it (still) is to buy a dodgy MOT from the right garage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure