PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I need to sell my house!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

The property is a family house at the very tip of South Ronaldsay - an island with only 900 or so people. Presumably most of the decent paying work & schools, shops etc are in Kirkwall or at the oil and gas facilities - that must be at least a 40 minute drive away. It looks like at least a 15 minute drive to get a pint of milk.

So the number of potential buyers is going to be very limited indeed. I reckon there are too types of potential buyer....

1) Oil & Gas execs that re-locate to Orkney with their families
    2) City escapists who have bagged a million or so for selling their pokey flat in Fulham etc and want something else.

Personally I would really attack 1) as with 2) I expect you would get a lot of tyre kickers.

I'd say you have it the complete wrong way round.

Oil & Gas execs would surely rent rather than buy, its going to be a 3 or 4 year assignment. Indeed their companies might even pay the rent. And I dont know the geography but you've pointed out its a long way from the capital, where presumably the exec would need to be, not 40 minutes away?

Its the City Escapists who would buy. And i doubt you'd get many tire kickers, its not like popping on the tube to see it, anyone visiting is making a big commitment in time and money.
  • OP, why did YOU buy it?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    How about approaching some online community sites like this one, you can post property details once a week with permission:

http://www.lifeafterlondon.com/
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Becks32 wrote: »
    The house is fairly remote but what I am confused about is that houses on the islands off of Orkney are selling. This means either 2 boats or 2 planes to get from the mainland, no supermarket, no secondary school, Drs surgery only open a couple of days a week and hospital 2 ferries/planes away. If these houses are selling (for not a lot less despite being older) then my house can not still be on the market because it is remote. Although it looks in the middle of nowhere it is as I said only 10 minutes from the local village, school bus comes to the end of the drive for primary and secondary.

My point about the house being in the middle of nowhere was in response to someone saying that you get a lot for your money in the area. The same can be said about most very rural areas with few local amenities.

Who was it that put offers in that fell through? Were those people local to Orkney who had trouble selling their own homes?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Oil execs? How many oil companies are headquartered up in Orkney? Sure there's the Flotta terminal but it's on a different island as is a 2 hour drive away from the OP's house.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    BY the time someone is looking at the Orkney for a remote property with a bit of land a pink wall won't be a problem.

The layouts are going to be expected as well.

There is good reasons why these islands don't have big(any) trees and there is a lot of ground floor living.

if you want traditional(well slightly more) you need to be looking in the high density areas.

What has sold anywhere that is anything like this

its a struggle to find details

Nov 17 for £145k

May 16 £262k

Nether Gaira, sold for £150k in Sept 16

early 16
    South Windwick, £160k
    The Hill House, £150k

What were those last 3 like?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Becks32 wrote: »
    I am a little concerned that there are so many posts about there being no downstairs toilet - There is! As mentioned before bedrooms downstairs is fairly normal for Scotland and not something I can change. I can see that the colour scheme could be off putting (This can definitely be changed!). The landscaping outside is more difficult due to logistics and lack of funds available, will certainly look in to options though. We have someone mowing the grass regularly so could ask him to advise.

We have had about 8 serious offers since it has been on the market of which 7 couldn't sell their houses and 1 couldn't get a mortgage due to previous debt issues. The house pictures have only recently been changed to show it as empty and we didn't have any more interest when it was shown as furnished, although I agree that people aren't able to visualise themselves and its always better furnished.

The house is fairly remote but what I am confused about is that houses on the islands off of Orkney are selling. This means either 2 boats or 2 planes to get from the mainland, no supermarket, no secondary school, Drs surgery only open a couple of days a week and hospital 2 ferries/planes away. If these houses are selling (for not a lot less despite being older) then my house can not still be on the market because it is remote. Although it looks in the middle of nowhere it is as I said only 10 minutes from the local village, school bus comes to the end of the drive for primary and secondary.

people are not saying there is no toilet downstairs. They are saying there is no bathroom downstairs.
    I live in a 4 bedroom property in a rural area in the north of Scotland with a similar layout of 2 bedrooms downstairs and two upstairs.

But, I have a shower room downstairs and a bathroom with over bath shower upstairs.

A downstairs toilet does not meet the needs of morning or night bathing for those using the downstairs bedrooms.

You could put it into an auction with an upset price.

I do not see it listed on the HSPC website.
    When we were looking to move north that is where we looked and found our house.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

Who was it that put offers in that fell through? Were those people local to Orkney who had trouble selling their own homes?

We have had about 8 serious offers since it has been on the market of which 7 couldn't sell their houses

From a previous post of the OP's
  • Teasedale
    Teasedale Posts: 45 Forumite
    Things that you can do.

Create a website for it with good photos and an honest, enthusiastic appraisal.

Drop your price.

Market it at half price and give the purchaser a private mortgage - if you can afford to!

Increase its market exposure by advertising it also on Gumtree, eBay, anywhere. https://www.greenshifters.co.uk maybe?

Get editorial coverage of your story anywhere you can, journos always need a story. Start with the nationals and work down to the free papers. Make sure that your website URL goes in the story!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sheramber wrote: »
    I do not see it listed on the HSPC website.
    That's because it's being sold by estate agents rather than solicitors. The solicitors property centres (as the name suggests) generally only market properties being sold by solicitors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure