Civil Service Tests?

Options
I recently failed the Online Assessment for the Civil Service, it was the Numerical Test.
The last time i worked for them was when they had the old test centre version before it moved online.
Does anybody have advice on these new tests, to be honest i have a mixed record with employment assessments however, i do have Functional Maths Qualifications to Level-3 which i was told would help with these tests.
This is the first time i have attempted this test so i will be looking to have another go, i thought it seemed quite straight forward with converting currency and percentages and multiple choice etc but i can't believe I've failed.:(
Don't Trust Anybody!

Comments

• Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Their pass benchmark changes on a whim. Its decided by how many applicant's they receive.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I failed the test for a grad job, I am severely dyscalculic and so did not have a hope in hell.
    My ex did the same test for the same position- his was an internal promotion though as he has worked for them for years- he is decent at Maths, he studied computer science at uni and he said he only just scraped through.
    Not sure about the pass mark but it seems like it is almost impossible!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently failed the Online Assessment for the Civil Service, it was the Numerical Test.
    The last time i worked for them was when they had the old test centre version before it moved online.
    Does anybody have advice on these new tests, to be honest i have a mixed record with employment assessments however, i do have Functional Maths Qualifications to Level-3 which i was told would help with these tests.
    This is the first time i have attempted this test so i will be looking to have another go, i thought it seemed quite straight forward with converting currency and percentages and multiple choice etc but i can't believe I've failed.:(

Are you sure? I thought the levels were -

Entry Level 1,2 and 3
    Level 1
    Level 2
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    he is decent at Maths, he studied computer science at uni and he said he only just scraped through.
    Not sure about the pass mark but it seems like it is almost impossible!

Quite clearly not decent at maths. I'm a truck driver and I got 100% in the last civil service maths test I did a couple of years ago. There's nothing that is rocket science in the test and if someone who did their O levels over 30 years ago and has spent quarter of a century driving trucks can get 100% pass then surely someone who has done a degree which requires maths can easily pass too?
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Quite clearly not decent at maths. I'm a truck driver and I got 100% in the last civil service maths test I did a couple of years ago. There's nothing that is rocket science in the test and if someone who did their O levels over 30 years ago and has spent quarter of a century driving trucks can get 100% pass then surely someone who has done a degree which requires maths can easily pass too?
    What was the level of role that you applied for? The poster was applying for grad job which most likely had a greater difficulty test or a higher benchmark due to the amount of candidates than the test you did. If you spent 25 years driving trucks, I cant imagine that it would have been the grad test.Dont make assumptions about others.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I believe the complexity of the test is dependant on the role, department and level of the job and as already stated the pass mark is also dependant on the amount of applications received.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ps...

Functional Skills only exists at Entry L1, 2 and 3 and then L1 & 2.

Level 3 (which is the equivalent to A-Level) is not a level for Funcfional Skills.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure