Nursery Fees Increased by 40%

My DD is at nursery 3 mornings a week, we were told on the 9th of August that her fees would increase from £28 to £40 per day from the 1st of Sep (Over 40%!!). This is a £160 a month increase to us, and one that we can't afford. I only found out about the increase in person the week before they were due to rise when I was handed a print out. We had been on holiday over seas when the newsletter was sent on the 9th of August, so it wasn't read (it's normally about light things such as world book day and things like that!). I would like to know what options I have. I have already found her another nursery to attend. I did ask the nursery to honour our prices until then end of the month but they said no. Can I pull her from the nursery and expect the balance that I have paid returned. I was not given the option at the time to remove her from their care, but had I been given it I would have. It feel so wrong that such a huge increase could be applied without giving the parents any options. If any one has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Were you told of the increase while away e.g. by email? Or only on paper which you weren't given?

That's the only window I can see that you have. If you were told, you had the option of moving, as you are doing.
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What does your contract say about giving notice?
  • What’s the reason for such a large increase?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Baby Trend Sit N Stand Double Stroller Review

Good point.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Unless your contract states differently, companies are allowed to change their prices at their leisure - it's up to you if you want to continue to use that service.

You may have been away, but they informed you of the change the way they normally would have, and really it's not their fault you did not get the message.

I don't really feel like there is much come back off this unless something in your contract gives you a loop hole.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure