Can employer enforce to wear name badge which includes surname

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Do people realise you can have as many names - perfectly legally - as you want.

That may be the case, but if an employer is insisting on using the surname from your job application it may create a problem.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do people realise you can have as many names - perfectly legally - as you want.

As long as it is not with the intent to deceive.
  • Undervalued
    edited 17 August 2019 at 9:55AM
    If you work in a regulated profession then it is key that any client / patient can check your registration with your professional body. To do that they need to know your (real) surname which needs to match up with your registration.

One step down from that are members of professional bodies where membership is customary although not actually legally required. Again such members are often subject to strict professional guidelines and if a client is unhappy then they will need to know the person's real name in order to make a complaint. I have had recent dealings with one such organisation (c. 40K members) with rules that require members to use their real name and give it to clients on request. They have taken disciplinary action against several members who failed to comply.

Personally I would be very suspicious of any organisation that hides the identity of its staff. Even if its motives are honourable I feel it is solving a problem (if indeed there is a problem) the wrong way.

A good example is a well know organisation working in the gas industry. Its "engineers" seem to do their best to just use their first names and put an often unreadable squiggle on any paperwork. Yet the customer has a legal right to see their Gas Safe registration card, which will of course show their real name!
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 August 2019 at 10:37AM
    My wife works in the Job Centre, Not really front of house but none of the staff have surnames only christian on public ID.

If a member of the public wants to identify my wife, her first name would be plenty and thats all she would give them.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't understand the issue?

(yes they can)

I didn't recently but in sectarian areas of the U.K. such as N.I. and Glasgow the surname (and often the first name) can be an indicator of a particular religion. None of our bank staff have surnames in N.I. until this was pointed out to me I didn't understand either but it's pretty obvious now.
  • Undervalued
    edited 17 August 2019 at 10:35AM
    I didn't recently but in sectarian areas of the U.K. such as N.I. and Glasgow the surname (and often the first name) can be an indicator of a particular religion. None of our bank staff have surnames in N.I. until this was pointed out to me I didn't understand either but it's pretty obvious now.

But as you say.....
    (and often the first name) can be an indicator of a particular religion.

so it is not a complete answer.

Again this would be completely unacceptable in most professional situations so why is it acceptable at other levels?

The real problem is that people happily post all kinds of information about themselves on the internet and now seem to expect their employer to protect them from the consequences.

However, to get back to the OP's original question which was.....
    Can employer enforce to wear name badge which includes surname

then it comes down to whether it is a reasonable management instruction. In some situations an employer may be able to show a good reason for requiring such a change. In other situations it may be harder.

What they could certainly do it make it a rule for new employees and indeed impose it on those with less than two years service as they would have no redress.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    On the other side of the coin, it is very frustrating when you're returning a call, having spoken to some one previously and they've told you to call them back:
    Can I speak to Jack please?
    Which one, we have several?
    I have no idea.

Ditto, when you wish to make a complaint about someone and you only have their first name. I don't particularly care what names people give themselves as long as they are individually identifiable when people need them to be.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Social media, just need to change privacy settings, easy enough.

When I send letters out, my full name is on there.

Don't see the problem.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2019 at 11:25AM
    I suppose there is nothing stopping your employer giving you pseudonyms.

Depending on how much hassle you give them they could pick names like

Andy Prat
    Richard (shortened version) Head

Etc

You could have the choice, your own name or the one that they have picked
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I sort of get the concern but I’m a health prof and as mentioned above we have no choice. I’ve never heard of it causing a problem for anyone despite us often having very intense and/or fraught relationships with clients.

Perhaps people over estimate how much interest other people have in them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure