Frugal Living 2011 - the preparation stage

Options

Comments

• Lily_The_Legend
    Options
    Wishing everyone a safe and warm Christmas and all the best for 2011.

You too Kerry Woman! :xmassign:
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    Lily_The_Legend, that's great news, something to really look forward and not too long to wait.:j

Thanks Kerfuffle. :) Less than eight weeks to go! :j
    jess444 wrote: »
    Christmas food shop has cost me a fortune :eek:- I will need to seriously look at this next year if I am to stay in budget.

Jess

The Christmas food shop, cards, wrap and presents all seem to cost a fortune! :eek: I'll have to look at this for next Christmas too, plus what I spend on people for birthdays. Especially when I give some people presents and they never even acknowledge they got them, let alone thank me! :mad:
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooo let me know how you get on! :) Looking at the picture made my tummy rumble. :o:D

It's bubbling away on the stove at the moment. It smells amazing! I'm going to do some costings later and figure out how much it cost per portion. I'm going to freeze some of it for lunches when I go back to work next week.
  • Lily_The_Legend
    Options
    It's bubbling away on the stove at the moment. It smells amazing! I'm going to do some costings later and figure out how much it cost per portion. I'm going to freeze some of it for lunches when I go back to work next week.

Good idea FF! :T I hope it tastes as good as it smells! :)
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Minestrone costings

Onions 20p (Bought three for 59p, used one)
    Carrots 15p (Bought bag of carrots for 39p, used less than half a bag)
    Celery 49p
    Cabbage 59p
    Garlic 10p approx (Used three cloves)
    Tinned tomatoes 66p (Used two tins and they were 3 for £1)
    Potatoes 30p (Bag was 90p, I used four large ones)
    Stock cubes 4p (4 x value ones used for 2L of stock)
    Cannellini beans 88p (2 tins)
    Tomato puree 20p (ish?!)

I make that a total of £3.61 which has made about 5L of soup. I think that should be enough for 10-12 portions if served with bread which makes it around 30p per portion if I can make it stretch to 12 portions (Mr Fresian eats like a horse!!)

It's really nice too, I'd recommend you try the recipe :D
  • Lily_The_Legend
    Options
    Minestrone costings

Onions 20p (Bought three for 59p, used one)
    Carrots 15p (Bought bag of carrots for 39p, used less than half a bag)
    Celery 49p
    Cabbage 59p
    Garlic 10p approx (Used three cloves)
    Tinned tomatoes 66p (Used two tins and they were 3 for £1)
    Potatoes 30p (Bag was 90p, I used four large ones)
    Stock cubes 4p (4 x value ones used for 2L of stock)
    Cannellini beans 88p (2 tins)
    Tomato puree 20p (ish?!)

I make that a total of £3.61 which has made about 5L of soup. I think that should be enough for 10-12 portions if served with bread which makes it around 30p per portion if I can make it stretch to 12 portions (Mr Fresian eats like a horse!!)

It's really nice too, I'd recommend you try the recipe :D

Thanks for posting the costings! :T I'll definitely try it, probably not until January now though as I'm putting off going food shopping again for as long as I can! :)
  • seriouslyfrugal
    Options
    Hi everyone

mum came in today having been to B&Q she got 40 assorted gift bows for 50p :j as people were looking at this i thought it worth a mention

wishing everyone a happy christmas

keep safe and warm :beer:
    Emma :hello:
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello all:j
    I've spent the last few days starting to scour some of the excellent threads on the OS board to learn some new tips for shaving bits of the budget and reminding myself of things that I have forgotten so that I can incorporate them.
    From the savings we made this year by generally living fairly carefully I have today booked a weeks holiday for OH and myself- we're going in termtime and leaving the small person with my parents. By doing it today we have saved £50 on the price. I have also bought a James Martin cookery book with a £5 voucher I was given in WHSmith to kickstart the 2011 gift box- I checked against Amazon and it would have been £9 so I think I got a good deal there:D
    Next job after Christmas is to track down a spending book- I did this properly for 4 years but decided I didn't need to to it last year-erm big mistake. I definitely spend more when I don't have to record it:o
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • enjoyfinancialchallenges
    enjoyfinancialchallenges Posts: 244 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2010 at 1:33AM
    Options
    Thanks NualaBuala for your encouraging words are they always welcomed when you are feeling a bit low as I am at the moment. My LOL (live out lover) of ten years told me a few weeks ago it was all over and yes, I knew something was up but didn't think it was this. :mad: Anyway I'm a big girl now and I will survive ( breaks into song) in fact when things like this happen I get a bit bl**dy minded and even more determined to cope....but at least I can tell you all on here. Rant over now thanks and back to the serious matter in hand, frugal living.

Kerfuffle I liked your idea of a fixed and flexible list for my budget I think I will have a go at that then perhaps it will help me to keep a bit focused on what can be worked on to reduce my expenses. This year for some reason I've got a bit mixed up and not given as much attention to the total amounts as I should have.

blondemuppet I understand what you mean about things we all do as normal that maybe others will see as a new idea. I read what L_the-L said about reducing her food wastage and one thing I do is to buy the economical size of veg and freeze the unused ones for later especially when its something like sprouts that seem to go a bit manky if not used straight away.

I'm planning to get to bed a bit earlier also as it will help to keep my oil usage down but having just noticed the time its obvious that once more I failed, so goodnight all.
    Keep to £400 a month on C/C.
    :j
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My LOL (live out lover) of ten years told me a few weeks ago it was all over and yes, I knew something was up but didn't think it was this. :mad:
    (((hugs)))
    Anyway I'm a big girl now and I will survive ( breaks into song)
    Like your style :D
    Cheryl
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    Oh that's really hard (((((EFC))))) but clearly you have bucketloads of moxie. Take extra-special care of yourself and we are all here for you whenever you need us. Break-ups are so hard and I find people often encourage you to a) treat yourself by overspending b) treat yourself by overeating c) treat yourself by overdrinking d) treat yourself by going on the rebound. So if you can find a frugal and healthy way of taking good care of yourself I think you could make a fortune from writing a self-help book!

Hmmm, not sure if Cheryl has planted subliminal messages in this thread but running comes to mind as something that would tick the frugal and healthy feelgood boxes.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family