Warm Front Grant saved me a fortune!

Comments

• Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanx poppy

I think we have same brand type of boiler I'm glad coz I would like the same brand as its been so good if they do change it. I wouldnt want to go back to the old water tank I love the convenience of contant hot water :)

I will just have to wait and see what comes out of my application anyway :)
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Lady_K
    Forumite
    Thanx, It looks a really nice one. Mine is absolutely massive they have got much smaller over the 17 years for sure but being in the loft it hasn't bothered me.

They may not instal the same boilers in all areas though but I hope so as they are a brilliant make. I'm really surprised they are using this brand though as they are so good and probably more expensive. Surprised they didn't go for Britsh made or a cheaper brand to save money.

Even if I'm not given the grant I'd have to save up but I'd go for the same make again
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • hannanshah
    hannanshah Posts: 25 Forumite
    I think we've had some people come round before but they only checked our insulation (we only found out about this after some guy knocked on our door offering the service). They just installed some simple insulation on our doors.

I've been living here since 1991 and the boiler is working fine but we have one of those lame old hot water tank systems. Wouldn't mind getting it replaced.

The website does say I can still get a grant minus the cost of any previous work. Just wondering if I can at least get my boiler replaced and at best get the whole system changed to one of the more modern combi or condensation systems?
  • hannanshah
    Today I phoned Warm Front but they say they only replace boilers if they are not working or have been condemned. My boiler is at least 15 years old and although it is functioning the previous posters have said that boilers over 8 years old can be replaced. We did use Warm Front in the past to have some simple insulation work done on the doors but at that time wasn't aware that I could use this for heating systems. Have I been given the wrong information?
  • Lady_K
    Forumite
    I'm in a similar possition to you as my boiler is 17 years old but it's working though. I didn't want to wait till it completely conks out as I wouldnt have hot water or heating and this warm front thing must take some time to go through all the procedure wouldn't it, too long to be without water and heating. I wonder if it depends on different areas... How long does it take to go through all the application to actually get the work done do they do t on an emergency basis in some cases?

I also had some draught proofing done some years ago now probably about 15 and they blew some draught proofing stuff in my loft too but thats all
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • hannanshah
    Lady_K wrote:
    I'm in a similar possition to you as my boiler is 17 years old but it's working though. I didn't want to wait till it completely conks out as I wouldnt have hot water or heating and this warm front thing must take some time to go through all the procedure wouldn't it, too long to be without water and heating. I wonder if it depends on different areas... How long does it take to go through all the application to actually get the work done do they do t on an emergency basis in some cases?

I also had some draught proofing done some years ago now probably about 15 and they blew some draught proofing stuff in my loft too but thats all

In the second post of this thread Poppycat had some work done and said that boilers over 8 years old are replaced. Warm Front are telling me that they only replace boilers if they break down. I've got a boiler that requires heating a water tank everytime I need hot water. The timer is also busted but I don't if that counts!
  • Lady_K
    Forumite
    I just rang them again and they said the same to me. They do not replace boilers unless they are completely broken down and not working or that they have been condemned by the gas board.

I asked her how long it takes from applying to getting the work done if I did actually wait until the boiler was not working and not mendable. She said it takes once the application has gone through up to 6 months to have the work done. She added that some people do actually go without hot water and heating for the whole 6 months and said they were not an emergency service.

If it was summer and I didn't need the heating it wouldnt be so bad and I would just have to boil the kettle for pots etc but I have a gas shower that runs off the boiler so I wouldnt be able to shower or anything... that would be a problem I am on a dissability benefit so I cant be carrying hot water around. It is impossible for me to manage with that.

I don't know why others on this thread have been more successful, it's a mistery
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I recently had some cavity wall & loft insulation done under the warmfront scheme. My combination boiler & central heating system is only about 4yrs old so no problem there. The assessor told me that should my boiler break down within the next 5 yrs I'll qualify for a grant to replace it with a condensing one. :D I don't think this is likely to happen though as it's a very good boiler & will no doubt give years of satisfactory service, especially as I have a British Gas service contract.

When I was originally given the leaflet by the community health team outlining the warmfront scheme, it did mention that a boiler would only be replaced if it wasn't in working order or a dangerous condition.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Our old boiler was still working abet not very well, I told them this so that doesn't fit in the info they gave you that its not working or condemned.

When they came to check they only looked around the house for insulation, sq metre of rooms, and had a quick visual look at the boiler, at no time did they check to confirm that it works or not. They also checked our incomes.

Several months elapsed came to assess where the boiler would be fitted, he mentioned that we would have to get a cupboard for the boiler to comply with the new electrical rules.

He never checked boiler either, and it was he who told us that they would replace the boiler if it was 8 years old or more.

We did have some insulation work done in Jan 2003 also but it was loft insulation only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure