M&S travellers cheques

1234568»

Comments

• argomatt
    argomatt Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just got my card through and going to get my travellers cheques today.

However I read on their website that M&S will stop doing travellers cheques on 1st May 2013, if anyone else is going to have a go at this then you need to have done it by then.

:beer:
    DFBX2016 #024
    Target = £10804
    Paid = £2434
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    argomatt wrote: »
    Just got my card through and going to get my travellers cheques today.

However I read on their website that M&S will stop doing travellers cheques on 1st May 2013, if anyone else is going to have a go at this then you need to have done it by then.

:beer:

Indeed, just seen this, another loophole closed then. Not mentioned much, but couldn't we do the same with Tesco? Just looked at sterling cheques on their travel money site, £1000 for £1012.50, so only a slightly higher fee.
  • argomatt
    argomatt Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't know about the tescos travellers cheques, if they are treated as purchases or as a cash advance, I asked on this forum and was told it should still work in the same way, apart from the slightly higher charges.

Unfortunately I already had a Tescos card, so I closed it this week in the hope of opening a new one at a later date, but they want 8 months before the new customer deals are available to me...

Will tescos still be doing travellers cheques in 8 months time? I can't see m&s being the only ones thinking the lack of customers for travellers cheques make them not worthwhile.

Wait and see I guess..
    DFBX2016 #024
    Target = £10804
    Paid = £2434
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    is this still a useful method of accessing stooze cash? and can they be purchased on a credit card?
  • flyfto
    flyfto Posts: 57 Forumite
    I just been accepted and have been offered
    3k, which isn't as much as I expected, has anyone
    Ever contacted them and had credit limit upped?
    ???
    also think will only make around £40 for 14 months in
    My Santander 123 current account!
    Not a lot really , but a suppose its free cash !!!
  • Elljay_2
    Elljay_2 Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    planteria wrote: »
    is this still a useful method of accessing stooze cash? and can they be purchased on a credit card?
    Yes it is, until M&S stop issuing Travellers Cheques on 1st May. You need to buy them with your M&S credit card that has 0% for purchases as it is treated as a shop purchase and not a cash advance. Don't know if you can use another 0% credit card without being charged a cash advance.
    When purchasing the cheques M&S ask you where you are travelling so that they can point out where to call if the cheques are ever lost or stolen. Most people buying Sterling T/C's travel to South Africa, Thailand, India or Sri Lanka. So if you feel uncomfortable buying them just say you're travelling to one of those countries. HTH
  • Elljay_2
    Elljay_2 Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    flyfto wrote: »
    I just been accepted and have been offered
    3k, which isn't as much as I expected, has anyone
    Ever contacted them and had credit limit upped?
    ???
    also think will only make around £40 for 14 months in
    My Santander 123 current account!
    Not a lot really , but a suppose its free cash !!!

There is no harm in trying. Call them and if you are through to a foreign call centre asked to be put through to Chester. You can then explain that you were hoping to buy £X amount of Travellers Cheques for a trip and would it be possible to have your limit raised to that amount? I know of peolple who have done this but they hve been with the co. a while. No harm in asking though I suppose?
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Just another reminder that if you're thinking of taking advantage of this, DO IT NOW!

They stop issuing travelers cheques on 1st may, so by the time you've applied and received your card there won't be much time left... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure