Cheap Smell-alikes - Cheaper alternatives to Expensive Perfumes

Options

Comments

• hwrd1122
    hwrd1122 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 September 2012 at 1:15PM
    Options
    I notice Perfume Parlour getting a few comments on their sprays being expensive. Compared to some of the others dupes then this is true but the quality and concentration of the oil is usually much greater than many of the other copycat companies mentions.

I collect fragrances. I have 30+ originals including vintage formulations across many designer and niche brands. Alongside this I have many dupes from Milton Lloyd, Creation Lamis, Linn Young, D+M, Saffron, and Perfume Parlour.

Of the above mentioned dupes I clearly find Perfume Parlour to be superior. If we are just talking about top notes then any of the others are just as good but it is as the fragrance evolves you begin to see the difference in quality.

With the exception of PP, Milton Lloyd and Linn Young are the best. No doubt in my mind. Not tried Omega so can't compare them to Linn Young. Both Milton Lloyd and Linn Young last a reasonable time and don't really turn sour or stale after a couple of hours.

PP on the other hand are a little bit linear maybe due to being a higher concentration of perfume oil rather than alcohol. That said they really capture the best of a fragrance and the scent lasts all day long.

Unlike all the other dupes PP don't just offer the mainstream fragrance. I would never expect someone to buy Joop or Cool Water from PP. The originals can be found so cheaply and each and every other company produces dupes for these.

Instead PP really excels for higher end and niche fragrances. Where else can you get a very good quality dupe of a Creed, some of the Diors or Guccis, Tom Ford or Van Cleef and Arpels. You can't. PP offers all of these usually high end expensive fragrances at an excellent price.

I own many of the dupe fragrances in either genuine full bottles or smaller decants. I can honestly say PP is the closest in terms of structure. Occasionally the initial top notes might be lacking but who cares when these fleeting notes will be gone anyway in a matter of minutes.

Also PP sometimes bases its scents on the better vintage formulations. My Chanel Egoiste from PP smells much closer to my vintage decant than it does my newer reformulated juice. My Terre d'Hermes from PP is actually slightly more sparkling than my genuine parfume. My PP Allure Hommes Sport lasts longer than my genuine bottle and much longer than my Milton Lloyd version (Poker). Again is slightly lacks the punchy top notes but from 5 mins and beyond it excels. The same can be said of most my PP sprays, they come close to and sometimes even surpass the genuine version.

Now you'll never match the natural quality of some top end niche fragrances but if you want to come extremely close without breaking the bank then PP is the perfect option. If you are looking for a real cheap deal on a mainstream fragrance Milton Lloyd and Linn Young are excellent alternatives.

My honest review on the people mentioned in this thread. Hope it helps.
  • scentedellie
    Options
    Has anyone tried Moondust by Creation Lamis? Some websites say it resembles Flowerbomb, while others say it is like Emporio Armani Diamonds.

Any ideas? And more importantly, does it last?!
  • scentedellie
    Options
    Thanks for such a quick response, Dave.

Glad that business is going well for you.
  • kkennedy
    Options
    sofababe looking for help, think I have taste in perfume similar to you have you got any new perfumes that you have got lately that you could recommend Please
    Sealed Pot Challenge5 1707 £289.00/£400
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Options
    kkennedy wrote: »
    sofababe looking for help, think I have taste in perfume similar to you have you got any new perfumes that you have got lately that you could recommend Please

The most acquisitions from PP are Burberry Body, Chloe Love, Loverdose, Lola, Be Delicious, Addict to Life and L de Lolita. All are spot on replicas. I also re ordered 2 faves; Lady Million and The One.
  • Robie
    Robie Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2012 at 11:57AM
    Options
    Hey sofababe - good to hear from you. :j

OK. This is a fairly new fragrance but perhaps someone knows a duplicate of Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb for men. Come to think about it, it could have been SPICEBOMB.

I was accosted in Debenhams in Oxford street and sprayed with this stuff. Initially, I thought meh but over the day it just became a wonderful smell.

Robie
  • kkennedy
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »
    The most acquisitions from PP are Burberry Body, Chloe Love, Loverdose, Lola, Be Delicious, Addict to Life and L de Lolita. All are spot on replicas. I also re ordered 2 faves; Lady Million and The One.

thanks sofababe
    have ordered L de Lolita, addicted to life, and the one to try this time also got loverdode(love this), Lady millions(another fav) ,flowerbomd(another fav) in sprays
    Sealed Pot Challenge5 1707 £289.00/£400
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    autumngirl wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Perfume Parlour oils then the Boss Orange one is probably my favourite of the many I've tried. Hope you're pleased with your purchase - let us all know :)

Hi, where do you buy the oils from? Thanks
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robie wrote: »
    Hey sofababe - good to hear from you. :j

OK. This is a fairly new fragrance but perhaps someone knows a duplicate of Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb for men. Come to think about it, it could have been SPICEBOMB.

I was accosted in Debenhams in Oxford street and sprayed with this stuff. Initially, I thought meh but over the day it just became a wonderful smell.

Robie

My husband and I had a good sniff at the aftershaves in Duty Free on a recent trip and loved Spicebomb. I wanted to order the duplicate from Perfume Parlour (they call it Spiceboom) but it was out of stock. That was a couple of weeks ago. I got him Blackness (Armani Code) Liberate (1 Million) and Bossy O (Boss Orange). That should keep him quiet for a little while! He likes the sprays rather than the oils.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback