Is today the day stoozing died?

14567810»

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    geet wrote: »
    what will happen if I don’t get the balance 7K or so in time to return 13K as I do not want to break my ISA.
    I have spent 2K meaning that I am 2K in debt _pale_
    I'm going to make two slightly different points here...
    1. Don't worry too much about breaking your ISAs. I know what you're thinking, that you won't get that ISA allowance back, etc, but the amount you'd gain from keeping these will be negligible compared to what you would be paying out in interest if you don't get another 0% deal to cover the remaining balance.
    Take 7K out of your ISAs and do what you can to save up (i.e. real saving, not borrowing) 2K for when the Santander deal runs out.

2. Seriously think if stoozing is for you. What would have happened if you hadn't been stoozing? Would you have still spent that second 1K? I'm thinking "no", from what you've said. Would you have paid back the 1K you would have borrowed to spend on emergencies? Maybe.
    That means you are down between £1000 and £2000 due to stoozing.
    The interest you've earned from stoozing might be around £1300. (I presume you haven't spent this interest!!) And you'll have paid out around £700 in fees.
    So your stoozing profits (around £600) are dwarfed by what you have spent.

I would imagine that this is quite a common problem for stoozers.
  • CannyJock wrote: »
    Given that the OP first asked "Is today the day stoozing died?" on 06-11-2008 at 4:07 PM, is it fairly safe to say the answer is actually No?
    It seems the cunning and devious will always rise to the top ;)
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • geet
    geet Posts: 174 Forumite
    I'm going to make two slightly different points here...
    1. Don't worry too much about breaking your ISAs. I know what you're thinking, that you won't get that ISA allowance back, etc

2. So your stoozing profits (around £600) are dwarfed by what you have spent.

I would imagine that this is quite a common problem for stoozers.

Thanks JTW, yes, will break ISA - no, have not touched the interests - if I do not get another 0% - my part-time stoozing will end that day.

You are right about stooze profit being dwarfed by spending. But I am being careful now. My first plan is to bring it to a situation whereby I only ask for money to be put in ISA. I can only start from there.

But then coming back to original question of OP with 3% BT fee and ISAs offering only max 3% the starting point is not that great for me?!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Excatly, geet.
    There are a few deals out there which you can make money on, but I'd say it's not worth the risk unless you really know what you're doing at the moment.
    But things will probably come round again in the future. Interest rates will have to rise at some point. And as long as there's 0% deals with reasonable fees when this happens then you can proceed with caution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure