IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

N1 Claim form received - Gladstones

Hi
I have received an N1 claim form originating from Gladstones solicitors. This is referring to a PCN that I received through the post in December 2017 relating to the parking event in November. I've included more details below but would like advice on how to respond to the N1 claim please. I have read the Newbies guide and it advised to start a new thread.

Parking charge relates to parking in November 2017
PCN issued by UK Car Park Management by post - letter dated 1 month and 3 days after the "offence" but actually received 8 days after the letter's date. The PCN was for "not displaying a valid permit" since the bay was for permit holders only - something which was only clear from the sign on the wall - there were no markings in the bay. The charge was £100.
After reading threads in this forum I responded to the PCN using the template stating that the notice to keeper is incorrect since it was not received within 15 days. I also included an additional claim of mitigating circumstances - my dog was sick, I parked there for 10 mins to drop dog in vets before returning to move the car.
I did not have a ticket on the windscreen something which CPM admitted to in their response to my letter - they said that they did not have any picture and so were willing to reduce the charge to £60. As per all of the advice on this forum I did not respond but I did appeal to the IAS. The IAS did not find in my favour.
I then received multiple letters from DRP followed by several from Gladstones. I ignored as per the advice on this forum apart from the first one from Gladstones which I replied to asking for them to confirm if it was from Gladstones. I received no reply.
I did receive a LBC but ignored it thinking it was just another threat from Gladstones. I realise this probably wasn't the right thing to do after re-reading this forum.
I have now received the N1 claim form. I realise that I must respond within 14 days (I have 11 days remaining from the date of this post). I would appreciate help regarding my response.
Thank you

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have read the Newbies guide and it advised to start a new thread.

I need to edit & clarify that bit in the sticky - what I mean to say there is:

start a new thread once the Acknowledgement of Service is done, showing us your draft defence (which can be bargepole's simple template defence, adapted to include the facts of the case).

So, show us your draft, and the date of the Claim, and the PARTICULARS OF CLAIM, please?

You will not just have 14 days and you know that from the NEWBIES thread!!

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is the Issue Date of your Claim Form?
  • KeithP wrote: »
    What is the Issue Date of your Claim Form?

Issue date is 8th November
  • So you took the template and added to it, and managed to disclose the drivers identity in doing so?

Sigh.

You chucked away a good POFA defence there.
  • KeithP
    edited 2 December 2018 at 3:10PM
    BigJ2626 wrote: »
    Issue date is 8th November
    With a Claim Issue Date of 8th November, you have until Tuesday 27th November to do the Acknowledgement of Service, but there is nothing to be gained by delaying it. To do the AoS, follow the guidance offered in a Dropbox link from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Having done the AoS, you then have until 4pm on Tuesday 11th December 2018 to file your Defence.

That's over four weeks. Loads of time to produce a perfect Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as described here:
      Print your Defence.
    1. Sign it and date it.
    2. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    3. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    4. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    5. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    6. Do not be surprised to receive a copy of the Claimant's DQ, they are just trying to put you under pressure.
    7. Wait for your Directions Questionnaire from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
  • Thanks for all of the helpful posts so far - those of you who help others are doing a great job. I have reviewed other defences from this year and have drafted the defence. I would really appreciate any suggestions to improve it.

Claim issue date: 08 Nov 2018

AOS response date: 12 Nov 2018

Particulars of Claim
    The driver of the vehicle registration XXXXX (the “Vehicle”) incurred the parking charge(s) on xx/xx/2017 for breaching the terms of parking on the land at xxxxxxxx. The Defendant was driving the Vehicle and/or is the Keeper of the Vehicle AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS £xxx for Parking Charges / Damages and indemnity costs if applicable, together with interests of £xxx pursuant to s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8% pa, continuing to judgement at £xxx per day

Background
    1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief claimed in the sum of £XXX, or at all, for the reasons stated in the following paragraphs.
    2. It is admitted that the Defendant is the Registered Keeper of the vehicle in question on the material date.
    3. The facts are that the vehicle, registration XXXX, of which the Defendant is the registered keeper, was parked on the material date on XXXXX (location). The Defendant stopped the vehicle at a convenient point close to the xxxx veterinary practice at xxxxx (location) for less than ten minutes, whilst transferring a sick pet.
    4. The Formal Demand letter dated xxx is 32 days after the issue date of the PCN and was received by the Defendant on xxxx which is 40 days after the issue date of the PCN. No PCN was attached to the vehicle – a fact acknowledge in the claimants response dated xx/xx/2018 to the Defendant’s initial appeal

Defence!

1. The Particulars of Claim state that the Defendant “was driving the Vehicle and/or is the Keeper of the Vehicle”.These assertions indicate that the Claimant has failed to identify a Cause of Action, and is simply offering a menu of choices. As such, the Claim fails to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4, or with Civil Practice Direction 16, paras. 7.3 to 7.5. Further, the particulars of the claim do not meet the requirements of Practice Direction 16 7.5 as there is nothing which specifies how the terms were breached.!

2. Due to the sparseness of the particulars, it is unclear as to what legal basis the claim is brought, whether for breach of contract, contractual liability, or trespass. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

3. The Particulars are not clear, and the claimant has not provided enough information to file a full defence. In particular, the full details of the contract, which it is alleged was broken, have not been provided.
    a) The Claimant has disclosed no cause of action to give rise to any debt.
    b) The Claimant has stated that a parking charge was incurred.
    c) The Claimant has given no indication of the nature of the alleged charge in the Particulars of Claim. The Claimant has therefore disclosed no cause of action.

4. The signage was insufficient and could not be seen at all when parking the vehicle. Only upon further investigation after 2 PCNs arrived, a small font sign was discovered on a single wall.

5. The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient proprietary interest in the land, or that it has the necessary authorisation from the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to pursue payment by means of litigation.

6. The Notice to Keeper failed to meet the obligations of Schedule 4 of the POFA Act 2012. The Notice to Keeper arrived late (not within 15 days). The first notification that the Defendant received was issued 32 days after the issue date of the PCN, and received 40 days after the issue date.

7. The Claimant has at no time provided an explanation how the ‘parking charge’ has been calculated, the conduct that gave rise to it or how the amount has escalated from £100 to £160. This appears to be an added cost with apparently no qualification and an attempt at double recovery, which the POFA Schedule 4 specifically disallows.

8. In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence are true.!

Name!
    Signature
    Date
  • Did anyone have any comments on my defence above or do you think it's ready to go? I have until 11th December to file
    Thank you
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As the driver has been identified then paragraph 6 about the NTK isn't relevant.
  • Thanks for replying Castle. Can you explain why it's not relevant since I thought that the NTK had to be received within 15 days regardless?
  • KeithP
    The time limit for issuing a NtK is actually six months from the incident date.

Only if the PPC intends to rely on POFA to transfer liability to the keeper are the time scales much much shorter.

You need to re-read post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure