How to get ex to take over bills?

I separated from my wife 18 months ago. I moved out of the family home I shared with her and my children.
My question is: the energy supplier at the marital home will not accept that I have moved and take my name off the bill or close my account. They say that because my name is on the mortgage and my separated wife is refusing to take over the bill there is nothing they can do without her cooperation.
Obviously I don't want the power supply to be cut off.
I don't know what to do.
For now I have to keep paying the bill so they don't get cut off and I don't get taken to court.
For over a year I continued to pay all of the family home bills including the mortgage, but I was in a lot of debt way before I left and I've been sinking deeper into it. I just can't do it anymore.
I now pay the entire mortgage (£1200 per month) because if I split it as half the mortgage and £600 child maintenance I have no confidence that she would use it to pay the bills which are all in my name.
She works and has a good salary.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like you'll have to move back and get a proper divorce.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What a load of crap. You request a final bill and that’s it.

Your liability ends when you are no longer using the supply. Stop asking, start telling.
  • Mr_GoldMine
    Mr_GoldMine Posts: 63
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2018 at 10:40PM
    yikes... you need divorce procedure and financial affairs sorted out ASAP using mediation or lawyers. Either that is your residence or it isnt?

but what do i know, im a in my own situation myself
  • AVRO refused. Put me on hold for 45 minutes when I asked to speak to a manager then cut me off and blocked me from access to my online account for 24hrs. I'm waiting the 8 weeks so I can elevate my complaint with the way this has been handled with Ofgem.
  • Good luck!
    essentially what is happening to me is financial abuse as punishment for leaving. Ex sabotaged mediation and is deliberately stretching out the process with solicitors to put me further in debt. It's a mess. Doesn't need to be this way.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GAP66 wrote: »
    AVRO refused. Put me on hold for 45 minutes when I asked to speak to a manager then cut me off and blocked me from access to my online account for 24hrs. I'm waiting the 8 weeks so I can elevate my complaint with the way this has been handled with Ofgem.

Come on that’s just silly! They can’t refuse.

Just write to them and terminate the contract.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They can't refuse. Notify them that you have moved about and wish to close your account. Being on the mortgage is irrelevant. The only bill you can't take your name off is the mortgage itself!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Write to them, state you've moved and are cancelling, cancel the direct debit with the bank.
    Tell your wife she will now need to take over the bills, and get a divorce witha proper financial settlement.

If she "has a good salary" why do you think she'd be cut off - will she really not pay the bill? If she did that would be on her you cant have it both ways.

p.s is this bill coming from a joint bank account? If so you need to get off that as well.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If being on the mortgage means responsibility for utility bill that would be an awful lot of landlords completely stuffed. They are indeed giving you misleading information. You take your name off, they send the next bill to "the occupier" in the absence of a named person. That makes your wife then responsible.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure