What are your top tips for keeping your eye on your kids when travelling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nicsue44 wrote: »
    My American friends used to dress the whole family in the same t-shirts. If a kid go AWOL it is easy (for parent or child) to show security (or whoever) - the lost kid/my Mum and Dad is wearing a t-shirt just like this.

As the above post - not so much keeping them safe but will help if a child goes missing - take a photo of each child before going out - that way you can show people exactly who you're looking for.

We made sure our kids had some plan of what they should do if they got lost so that they didn't panic.
  • 2gorgeousgirls
    Options
    2 adults, 2 kids, so we took responsibility for one child each which made it easier. It was a case of making sure we knew which one we were supposed to be watching.

My husband did however lose his charge in Magic Kingdom, Florida when she was 5. For 15 minutes (which seemed like hours) I thought I was really having a heart attack. Meanwhile she was quite happily watching the carousel and was completely bewildered at us crying all over her when we found her. As far as she was concerned she wasn't lost and we were being idiots..
  • PeteDoff
    PeteDoff Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    take a photo of each child before going out - that way you can show people exactly who you're looking for.

My mate and I do that with our old bags.
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
  • MumboJumbo2
    Options
    Some good ideas - the app is brilliant. I also dressed my kids alike in playgrounds, parks etc. They weren't so keen but I did have to say once 'she looks exactly like this one'! It's also a bit smug to say 'I hold their hand'. My Dad was once holding my sister's hand when she pulled away and jumped fully clothed into a swimming pool. Well everyone else was doing it! And she was too young to swim so he had to jump in after her. You just never know. :)
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just be a responsible parent and hold their hand? I mean it really is that simple. I come from a family of 4 kids, we travelled at least every three months because of my dad's work, and we have never been lost by our parents. I've also travelled with my three nieces (7, 2 and 1) and because they aren't chav kids, they do as they are told and stick by me unless they have permission to go elsewhere, and even then they are supervised.

I think some parents need a good slap around the head - you choose to have kids so look after them.
  • budgetflyer
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Just be a responsible parent and hold their hand? I mean it really is that simple. I come from a family of 4 kids, we travelled at least every three months because of my dad's work, and we have never been lost by our parents. I've also travelled with my three nieces (7, 2 and 1) and because they aren't chav kids, they do as they are told and stick by me unless they have permission to go elsewhere, and even then they are supervised.

I think some parents need a good slap around the head - you choose to have kids so look after them.

Thats not fair, it only takes 10 seconds of distraction. Can happen to anyone unless you have them on a rope.
  • DomRavioli
    Options
    Thats not fair, it only takes 10 seconds of distraction. Can happen to anyone unless you have them on a rope.

I think its a bit more than ten seconds. How hard is it to hold your child's hand and tell them no? Those children who do decide that they know better than their parents (coming from someone who has an autistic niece who can be very disruptive when provoked) have learned from their parents that its ok to disrespect people whenever they feel like it, and usually the parents let them get away with it.

It is usually a case of bad, or no, parenting, coupled with a lack of respect.
  • f4phixeruk
    Options
    Was at an Airshow near Edinburgh with my grandson. The local round table were giving free wristbands to put on the children. All you did was write your mobile number on it, and if they got seperated from you. All they had to do was go to one of the people in flourescent vests or emegency services, who would then have your mobile number to ring you.

All it takes is 30 seconds of inattentiveness from either the guardian. OR the child fore either to get seperated.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2015 at 8:59PM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »

As any parent will know one of your worst nightmares when travelling is the thought of losing your kids in the airport scrum.

Even flying Ryanair is no scrum-what airports/airlines do you go through??

Some of the MSE staff were just chatting about ways to keep an eye on them after we read the suggestion of a temporary tattoo of your mobile number on their arm!

Surely you'd make it permanent so when you're distracted by staring into your mobile or on Twitter\Tindeer\Snapchat\LinkedIn\Otherselfego sites your "precious" can be found by Jimmy Saville and he can phone you

On my recent holiday I stuck mine in brightly coloured hats or clothes with spots on and took a photo of them in what they were wearing before we left.

Looks like it's too late to suggest you do not have kids

So my suggestion is -if you do go travelling -give them to a responsible adult.

My worst nightmare when travelling is to meet a "parent " like you. As invariably the kids are running amok somewhere.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    Looks like it's too late to suggest you do not have kids

So my suggestion is -if you do go travelling -give them to a responsible adult.

My worst nightmare when travelling is to meet a "parent " like you. As invariably the kids are running amok somewhere.

A bit brusqe but I agree with your point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure