Shared ownership but only 87 years on lease

Options
Hi all,
Hoping you can help. I have had an offer accepted on a shared ownership house (25% share).
I am fast learning the pitfalls of these kind of properties and I am in talks with the solicitor.
The lease is 87 years and I am looking into being able to extend the lease. Am I right in thinking it can only be extended up to 99 years? Is it all possible to buy the lease so I am the freeholder? (housing association owns the other 75%). I am new to shared ownership although I have owned a house before so I am trying to think about the long term implications.
Will I have to extend the lease every few years?
I am 41 and would be looking to get a mortgage (it would be a small mortgage). Just really looking for some advice and guidance.
Would really appreciate any help. Thank you so much!
Respond to every call that excites your spirit.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 January 2020 at 2:31PM
    Options
    purply wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Hoping you can help. I have had an offer accepted on a shared ownership house (25% share).
    I am fast learning the pitfalls of these kind of properties and I am in talks with the solicitor.
    The lease is 87 years and I am looking into being able to extend the lease. Am I right in thinking it can only be extended up to 99 years? Is it all possible to buy the lease so I am the freeholder? (housing association owns the other 75%). I am new to shared ownership although I have owned a house before so I am trying to think about the long term implications.
    Will I have to extend the lease every few years?
    I am 41 and would be looking to get a mortgage (it would be a small mortgage). Just really looking for some advice and guidance.
    Would really appreciate any help. Thank you so much!

Some people have leases that are 999 years long but whether this freeholder will extend it by that much I do not know.

I think it's unlikely the HA will sell you the freehold because it would be the freehold to the whole building, you would effectively become your own landlord and the landlord to all the other leaseholders as well. I think it's also unlikely the HA will sell you a share of the freehold so that you are joint freeholders. Would the current leaseholder be prepared to start the process of extending the lease otherwise I think I am right in saying that you would need to wait 2 years before you could start it. Your solicitor should know though.

Personally I wouldn't touch shared ownership with a short(ish) lease. Do you have a longer term goal of staircasing up to owning 100% of the leasehold?
  • purply
    purply Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.
    I think before I take things further I need to resolve the lease issue. I'd like at least 200 years. I need to speak to the HA really I guess. My next step.

Yes I have the option of buying more shares which would be the long term plan.
    I do think the house is overpriced tbh but I also know that I can't afford a conventional mortgage as a single person so this to me feels like the only option at the moment. I need to think about how much I want the house as its on a road I like and in an area that I've always been keen on.

But none of the houses on that road have sold nowhere near for what the vendor is asking. I get that they are older and probably in need of modernising and the one I've seen is 10 yrs old but I still think it's overpriced.
    Respond to every call that excites your spirit.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have no statutory right to extend the lease on a shared ownership property so you are at the mercy of the HA as to whether they will let you extend and at what cost.
    Some HAs are reported to want to charge a full lease extension premium, as if you owned 100% equity, even though you only own a share, that would obviously be a very poor deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure