What % do you pay?

Options

Comments

• Bemma
    Bemma Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    4% me to get 8% employer contributions, additional 16% from me so 28% in total.

All with Salary Sacrifice. My contributions attract 7% employer NI on top.

This brings me down to <£50k, so out of 40% tax, 18% HICBC and mostly 12% NI (I have a bonus month that takes me into 40% tax, but most of my regular SalSac gets 12% NI relief).

This will increase a lot in the run in to 55 by depleting savings etc. Currently 50.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    All these people contributing to SIPP's outside the works pension schemes have checked that they're not missing out on salary sacrifice first haven't they?

I can only speak for myself and not others but the answer is yes.

Reading this thread I wonder how so many can afford to put away such high percentages each month. I know I couldn’t afford that out of my pay.
    But then I suppose it confirms what I’ve long suspected - that the people on this board, or at least this section of the board, are not the sort of people who move in the same social circles as me, at least as far as earnings go. They earn considerably more, more than me, more than anyone I know (as in know, not know of). Therefore they can likely afford to put these kinds of figures aside because they still have a nice wedge left over anyway.

If I put over 50% of £1600 I’m not paying my bills.
    Now if I earned 4-5k per month and put over 50% then that’s still quite a wedge to pay things with.
  • MaxiRobriguez
    Options

Reading this thread I wonder how so many can afford to put away such high percentages each month. I know I couldn’t afford that out of my pay.
    But then I suppose it confirms what I’ve long suspected - that the people on this board, or at least this section of the board, are not the sort of people who move in the same social circles as me, at least as far as earnings go. They earn considerably more, more than me, more than anyone I know (as in know, not know of). Therefore they can likely afford to put these kinds of figures aside because they still have a nice wedge left over anyway.

Now if I earned 4-5k per month and put over 50% then that’s still quite a wedge to pay things with.

Not only is it easier to sacrifice higher %'s the higher up the earnings ladder you go, it also makes more sense to sacrifice more as you're avoiding more tax.
  • Anonymous101
    Options

I agree in a sense. I think that most on here probably earn more than average and possibly came looking on here as a way to learn where to put any excess. I also think that there's plenty who naturally enjoy a lower cost lifestyle which enables them to save more. Then there's the ones that are nearing retirement and maybe have a bit spare after kids have flown the nest. Basically lots of circumstances.

I absolutely agree on the income front though. Its simply not possible for everyone to save large percentages of their salary. Those on lower wages can only afford to save so much after the basic needs are met. There's no getting away from certain costs. I also find, and i'm not suggesting that you're in this bracket, that people get used to spending a certain amount and its not possible for them to spend less. Also they won't think it possible that those that spend less are enjoying life as much. Looking at a lot of the threads on here you see spending ranging from £15k pa to £50k pa with little correlation to happiness.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For myself, I do put a very high percentage of my salary in to get the max £40k into my pension. This is because I started late - I only used to put enough in to get the max from my employer. If I had gone over this at an earlier point in my career then I wouldn't be in catchup now.
    I sal sac down into basic rate pay and am lucky that my husband earns a bit more than me so we can afford to do this. Our mortgage is also currently rising not falling to help fund this. He also does a significant sal sac but his employer gives him all the employer NI too so it hits his take home less - they also allow him to sal sac bonuses where mine doesn't.
    The earlier you can contribute any extra, the more benefit it will buy in later life.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • arthurdick
    arthurdick Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am a very late starter with any sort of pension, didn't enter into any pension until the age of 48, various reasons why, including two massive amounts of time too sick to work because of serious accidents. Also, if that aint bad enough I am just above minimum wage, so even harder to catch up.

For the last almost 12 yrs I have been in a LGPS DB pension, i pay 5.8% and my employer pays roughly around 2.5 times that, I know it is not enough but better to have a little of something than a lot of nothing. I also pay £300 p/m into AVC's.

The only good thing that I can see, is that my take home pay is just below £1000, so by the time I get the state pension(fully qualified last year, I only needed 2 more years to contribute from 2016), it will be not be much less than I pick up now, plus my LGPS pension, I will be taking home slightly more money than when working,

The problem I have now is when to go, 5 years early, 4 years early or 3 years early? I would go right now if it wasn't for the mortgage. The later I leave it the more AVC amount I will have and it falls below the 25% of 20 times yearly pension plus tiny lump sum.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines! Back home in London now after 27years wait! Duvet know it's Christmas, not original, it's a cover.
  • blues
    blues Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me: 8.5%
    Employer: 17%

Public Sector
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Me 50% employer 9%. I can afford 50% as no debts and mortgage paid off and will retire at 60 .
  • Notfarfromtheborder
    Options
    me, 40% via ss, employer 11%. I also get 13.8% back from employer for NI savings on my contribution. Keeps me in basic rate territory.
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    For what it's worth, I fall into the bracket of low earner - £23k a year & about a £1.5k bonus a year before tax (which I sacrifice into my pension - why pay all that tax/NI/student loan?).
    I manage to invest over £1000 a month by maxing out all the free money I can get via the matched pension, tax relief, LISA bonus & free work shares etc.
    My spreadsheet tells me I invest £1023 a month, I only contribute about £540 of that £1023 a month out of my own pocket.
    I'm lucky that I live alone, with low expenses, I'm not a materialistic person & I have a generous employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure