Advice regarding child benefit

I have tried contacting my local CAB, however have had no luck, so thought I'd try here.
On 9th July I received a letter stating what I would be paid and when.
I noticed one of my twins had been missed off the letter, so called them up. They told me there was no record of my son, despite me sending the one form with both twins on, and them returning both birth certificates to me.
I was told someone would need to look at my form again to see why he had been missed, and I'd get a call from head office within 10 working days. The call never came so I called again, to be told I'd get a call within 5 working days...this didn't happen either. I made a complaint and was told this would be answered within 5 days....never got the call. I'm now awaiting my 4th call back, but going on my previous experiences, I'm not holding my breath!
When I have spoken to them I have been told that it's with head office, who are not contactable by phone!
I've spent well over an hour on hold to them using my mobile, so at the end of all this I'm still no further forward, but have a shocking bill to show for it!
As I claim housing benefit I need to send my letter with the payment details on to the council for them to amend my claim. If they don't have this in 2 weeks, my claim will be cancelled completely!

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    raachel29 wrote: »
    I have tried contacting my local CAB, however have had no luck, so thought I'd try here.
    On 9th July I received a letter stating what I would be paid and when.
    I noticed one of my twins had been missed off the letter, so called them up. They told me there was no record of my son, despite me sending the one form with both twins on, and them returning both birth certificates to me.
    I was told someone would need to look at my form again to see why he had been missed, and I'd get a call from head office within 10 working days. The call never came so I called again, to be told I'd get a call within 5 working days...this didn't happen either. I made a complaint and was told this would be answered within 5 days....never got the call. I'm now awaiting my 4th call back, but going on my previous experiences, I'm not holding my breath!
    When I have spoken to them I have been told that it's with head office, who are not contactable by phone!
    I've spent well over an hour on hold to them using my mobile, so at the end of all this I'm still no further forward, but have a shocking bill to show for it!
    As I claim housing benefit I need to send my letter with the payment details on to the council for them to amend my claim. If they don't have this in 2 weeks, my claim will be cancelled completely!

Don't phone them, don't email them, but put your complaint in writing to them.

Mark your letter of complaint with the clear title: COMPLAINT, enclose copies of any necessary evidence (e.g. copies of bith certificates) and send the letter by registered post so you can be sure if and when they receive it.

Send your letter of complaint to:

Child Benefit Office
    PO Box 1
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    NE88 1AA
  • raachel29
    raachel29 Posts: 119 Forumite
    That's not going to help me with the council though, which is what I'm most worried about.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Put the twins in the pram, arm yourself with their birth certificates and call in at the appropriate council office?
  • raachel29
    The council have already has the birth certificates and returned them to me.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    In response to your situation. As the matter has been going forward and backward we would suggest you contact your local councillor to get involved on your behalf.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • raachel29
    How do I do that?!
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Go to Birmingham City Council website and go onto left hand side which will then give you a list of the councillors for your area and their surgeries.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This may be a bit late, but I would suggest you taking a copy of any letter you may have now written to the Child Benefit office, with the children's birth certificates to the Housing Benefit department. Accompany this with a letter advising the Housing Benefit department that you wish to add both children to your claim, the issues you have had and that the birth certificates should be sufficient as evidence of your children. The need to see proof of child benefit is simply to check that they are living with you as you can provide proof that they exist with the birth certs. Possibly get a brief letter from your Health Visitor to state that the children are both living with you at your address (although this may be considered overkill, it's better to be safe than sorry).

If the council fail to add them to your claim and/or close the claim before the child benefit issue is sorted out, then appeal immediately. There is nowhere specifically in the regulations that state that you need to provide proof of child benefit as proof of the child.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure