PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• Hiya Capella, glad your health is getting sorted out, hope you're feeling much more positive now?

I always think suet is useful, it's not currently fashionable or seen as healthy BUT in a prolonged cold spell when potatoes are liable to get 'frosted' and develop those horrible grey and purple bruises inside the ability to make a suet pud or some dumplings instead is very useful plus suet has a good long shelf life and doesn't sprout like spuds do and become un useable. Dumplings, steamed puddings, suet roll, rolypolys are good cheap rib sticking fillers and produce a great deal of energy on a cold day and even suet pastry for pies and baked rolypolys is OK. I'm also stocking up on leaf tea, we've changed over from tea bags to leaf because the tea bag tea was always covered in a 'slick' of bits in the pot when we poured a second cup but with leaf tea it's as nice on the third cup (if we get there) as it was freshly made and the teapot is staying clean too with leaf tea, not staining and putting down a residue of dark brown on the inside walls of the pot. Leaf tea is currently £1.50ish for 250 grams from all the major supermarkets for their own brand and all are perfectly drinkable.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    That's excellent news capella. Well done those meds. :)

Mar the visual of those kits made my eyes do a wobble in their sockets!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    :eek: How much?! That's a lot of spondulicks for berger-all, imo. What's to stop folks just taking some poonds to the supermarket like the rest of us? Madness.

Glad to hear your medication regime has settled, Cappella, long may it remain stable.

I'm recovering from the flu so not up to dragging great lumps of tinnery around with me, but plan to add a couple of shelf-stable items to the Cupboard of Doom any day now. And have bought to more pkts of ibuprofen to make up for that used to mitigate flu aches and pains. Gotta keep topped up on OTC meds.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • That's the nearest to a bloody scam I've ever seen.

60 servings/48 portions of meat? Yeah, but what they aren't making clear is that the tins are so large that 24 of them have to be eaten at the time, which actually gives 20 meals (especially if you're in the situation of needing to light a fire because there's no power/clean water as they imply from the 'firestarter' and water filter) - so not even a week's worth if you don't have a freezer to keep leftovers.

Scam scam scam.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • I like using suet. It's easy for pastry and dumplings, doesn't melt in storage and keeps a long time.

And I can put it out for the birds if the weather's looking ropey. Got to keep our wildlife going, too.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I like using suet. It's easy for pastry and dumplings, doesn't melt in storage and keeps a long time.

And I can put it out for the birds if the weather's looking ropey. Got to keep our wildlife going, too.
    :) Yup, my Dad is going to Big Market Town to stock up at the birdfood stall tomorrow, in case Weds week is inclement. Going to keep their beloved birdies going across the winter. Sooner or later we'll get some wintry weather and pensioners like Dad don't like to make journeys in bad weather unless it is strictly necessary.

Well, I know where my trapper hat and yax trax and walking poles, last deployed during the Beast from the East are to be found, so am as ready as one can be.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello Cappella! So glad to hear that you're feeling better and the meds are helping.
    And ooh, suet. Mine would have to be vegetarian :o sorry all, sorry sorry! But the taste, and that pastry, yummity yum.

GQ, sorry you're lurgified still - real flu, of course, goes on for a long old time :(

I'm plugging away, prepping wise, on several fronts: using up Nectar points by buying shelf stable foods; a bigger shop than usual; waving goodbye to more of my brambles - my blackcurrant bush has emerged :p and hopefully it will be okay, wasn't too good last year; and the biggest thing of all, getting a quote for a new kitchen, somebody's coming round tomorrow, we'll see ... working on pruning my hedges has produced a much closer acquaintanceship with my nice neighbour who helps out all round - the green bins were emptied today, first time since Christmas, and he brought his empty bin round to me again, so that I can fill it with my prunings, as he's not doing anything in the garden, he's **fully** prepared :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ah, suet. Strategic weapon for hearts & minds. Says she, thinking over supplies & adding suet to the list, as the steamed pud with a tank of custard gets All the menfolk lined up & cooperating.

Stuff governmental shutdowns, with a judicious plum duff, I could build a wall.

On a sideways thought, I am back from the merry lands of Glasgow, where I dropped into the scout shop (as you do, looking for those little odds & bits that other scouts raid their parents wallets for, all to help other scouts get to jamborees) and came up gasping & triumphant with a couple of brand new buff style scarves (link alas for reference as to garment type & function only) - and I'm delighted. I have one in the daybag, so when the temperatures droop, I shouldn't and then it has all the other little uses. All in distinctively Scout markings so if found I can be repatriated (Or returned to unit) more easily & any innocent unawares may be Slightly less surprised.

Bouncing down to eyeball parents tomorrow (day hop, mustn't abandon the livestock lest they get ideas - they've already had one takeaway this week) switching family photo albums & checking they are OK for chocolate & OTC meds. Mum can cope without her pills but we'd really rather she had all the painkillers she needs rather than waste finite energy being brave.

I shall mention that Brexit box & step back as m'father roars off to buy the (his) essentials (loo roll, gin, steak) to a chunk of the recommended value. I do have to say that In The Event, the family home might not be too bad a place for the first couple of days, but once the gin runs out, things could get difficult. My corner has rather more tins, almost no alcohol & teenage lads. In The Event, I think I will be humanely killed & eaten within a few week unless my greater knowledge is a sufficient asset.

Besides which, that box looks Massively Boring. My cupboards are more colourful, even if a hungry teenager can clear sections in a worryingly short space of time. Scout camp planning occupies a lot more space than a mere box - indeed one car held a driver and food supplies. Lovingly chaperoned all the way to the site where we had a lot of bright-eyed muscle to help unload & consider happily what the next 48 hours would include. (It was so hot, they drank their way through over 20 bottles of squash but then I was accosting every moving human in sight to come over and Drink! None of our lot dehydrated & several other leaders & site staff overcame their uncertainties.)

I shall also be taking a couple of tubs of fish roe down as noone else plies m'lady mother with what she thinks of as caviar. It's not intended to last, I'm after making sure her Quality Of Life gets a boost.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was woken by the creepiest voice at 6am today... It seemed to repeat a short phrase every few seconds. Sounded strangely like my granny... so you can imagine how frightening it was to wake up to that.

However, I think I told you guys I live on a street corner. In the light of day, I've realised it must have been one of those ultra cautious lorries that has a speaker linked to the indicators, saying something like: 'Beware, Iceland lorry turning right'.

Still, scarey to hear in your sleep though. :)
  • jk0 wrote: »
    I was woken by the creepiest voice at 6am today... It seemed to repeat a short phrase every few seconds. Sounded strangely like my granny... so you can imagine how frightening it was to wake up to that.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Bless you, not a nice feeling at all.. hope you’ve shaken it off now :o
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income