PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• Larumbelle I do agree with you about the waste of perfectly good things that could be useful to others . When I first moved here 40 years ago every one mucked in we lent and borrowed in return all the tools and equipment that weren't needed everyday . We had food cooperative and barter of skills and time was the norm . Now all but 4 of us are left and we seldom see any of the newer inhabitants and barely know any of their names . I have always been of the reduce , reuse , repair and recycle mindset and miss the like minded community .
    I noticed in one of your earlier posts you said you didn't feel you had any tips to offer , your thoughtful posts so far have been very helpful and to me thought provoking so thank you and keep it coming x
    Suki While I am processing the posts you mentioned you wished you had a diagnosis . I do find this a concern as myself and others have suffered from the same situation - your choice and your business love but if you need to talk on here feel free . This is not just tips look on it as a quiet place to park your worries and joys and whatever it is all part of being human and trying to do your best to manage your day to day life with the tools to enable you to carry on x
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2016 at 6:59PM
    Hello! Great thread!

I am another poster who is an old-style money saver with 'indifferent' health....I am Autistic, with severe dyspraxia, skin problems that range from eczema to pustular psoriasis (and aint THAT fun when it flares up!!!!), social anxiety that can leave me s/elective mute...and a host of minor issues that like to crop up from time to time just to stop me getting bored or complacent! :)

I am currently on ESA (support) and DLA (lower both components...but care is probably medium by now)...I tell myself that I get DLA for a reason, and it is not wasting money to actually use it to ease my life!

I have the e-cloths mentioned earlier from Lakeland....and Lakeland are a fantastic company for kitchen help!...I can no longer safely use knives, so I have a small electric chopper...some days I cannot safely pour a cup of water from a kettle - so I have a one-cup boiler that simply boils one cup of water and dispenses it directly into a mug.

I live in a small flat - so no stairs to vacuum, but I have a MorphyRichards vacuum cleaner which is surprisingly light and can be used as a standard upright, or the cleaning bit detaches and can be used as a hand-held which is useful.

I like to keep my fingers busy (some days it seems that the hands are the only bit of that works properly!...and then some days they go too!!!)...so I always have my basket of knitting and my embroidery workbox near by....Disability means I am slow - so I start my projects early...this year's Christmas cards are almost done!...and I knit for Operation Christmas Child Boxes - a great way of using up any odd scraps (I use them for puppets)....I do colouring too - you can get some nice Adult Colouring magazines.

I'm a great believer in doing as much as I can...but always remembering that I am disabled so try not to be too hard on myself when I can't do stuff....it is really DIFFICULT sometimes...my lovely Mum is my carer, she will be 90 this year and she comes and does stuff like cleaning my kitchen/bathroom floor (I can't wring the mop, and the chemical smell of the cleaner is too strong for me). I can't help feeling guilty sometimes as she should be taking life easy! (She is partially sighted , hard of hearing and has sever arthritis!)

I've mentioned on other threads something that Mum taught me from an early age....disability may be a part of me, but it will NEVER be the boss of me!
  • Prinzess I hope you can call you that . I did have a moment last night when I considered giving everyone a number !!! my memory is terrible .
    I really enjoyed your post and thanks for joining this little band of nice people . Well done on keeping your hands and mind busy my daughter is planning to cross stitch her decorations this year . She has found sewing , knitting and colouring very calming and enjoyable .
    Give your mum a very gentle hug from me and have one yourself x
    polly

• lovely to hear so many people's stories and tips - really useful.
    Polly my son has a Morphy Richards cordless vacuum - he said it was £40 and it's really lightweight but good - thinking of saving for one myself, as currently using a stiff brush rather than lugging Henry around - he really hurts my back, and I tried a regular upright but it wasn't much help!

Didn't know there was an over 50 forum - shall search for that later!
    Beautiful red sky here tonight over the Loch :-)
  • This thread is moving so fast , I need to make notes to remember everyone and all the info. Lovely brave people.

My way of cleaning the stairs - use a stiff clothes brush to brush all dust downstairs, then vacuum hallway (actually OH vacuums downstairs, I do upstairs) Oh and every time I go up stairs, I check them, and pick up any bits of thread, grass etc. I see.

Spider I will look at the collapsible walking sticks, but OH is getting so attached to the old shabby one he uses (it belonged to my uncle who died 25 years ago!) He is also deaf, so that is another reason he avoids going out, he can't hear announcement s or conversation. His hearing aid seems to be real burden to him.

Anyway, next week we bite the bullet, we are booked for a day trip on a heritage railway. I will have to plan carefully, but hope to have a good day out.
  • It has been humid and raining on and off all day. I haven`t done anything strenuous or untoward but my shoulders and arms are aching. Drat, it must be humidity related, well it means a poor sleep ahead tonight. Lots of people seem to be affected by humidity

WCS, I understand your pain at being unable to knit. I am certainly getting that way too
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been moved to tears by some of the stories I have heard here. I cannot believe how resilient and brave you are.

All I have ever suffered is CPTS which was bad enough but doesn't even touch what you are all living with.

All I can say is that I hope you all love and respect yourselves because no one deserves it more.

Truly, I am in awe of each and every one of you.

I have made a list and will pray for you all by name. It may not seem much but it's all I can think to do.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Hello again and thanks everyone for stairs and vacs input :) I have done the stiff brush thing in the past , then a rubber hand brush which was effective but also hard going at one time I discovered over sized lint rollers which were good for fluff and hair . The stiff brush dealt well with the dust which as mentioned I brushed downwards into the uncarpeted hall and swept up . All options eventually became too hard on the knees , back , arms and wrists .
    WCS I would be interested to hear if your sons works ok on stairs - no rush :) I envy that sunset , miss them so much . Knitting is becoming harder for me too . I am pretty well down to winter hats , scarves and the odd little cape or shawl so I have empathy with both yourself and Kittie on that one . I think those things are the ones that lower my mood but then I tell myself many people have much more too deal with and give myself a smack !
    Kittie Very much agree about the humidity . Odd weather again today sunny , then a downpour followed by a thundery looking sky and now the dreaded humidity again . The study I mentioned earlier is already showing quite a link but I think many of us noticed a long time ago .
    polly

• Monna Thank you so much for popping into our little thread . I feel we are in safe hands now you are on the case .
    love polly x

• A few years ago I was sent some square knitting needles, they seemed to help. At the moment my hands are quite good, very little pain though I certainly know in knuckles and knees that the weather is humid at present!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure