Turkey Tips

Comments

• bigmock
    bigmock Posts: 97 Forumite
    Hi I just bought this turkey crown http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Medium-Tender--Juicy-Turkey-Crown-with-Prime-Wing-Serves-5-Waitrose/19200011?from=search&tags=%7C20000&param=turkey+crown&parentContainer=SEARCHturkey+crown_SHELFVIEW
    2.5 kg

The thing is it is turkey crown that you cook in a bag and I have never come across this before, the instructions say to cook for 2 and a half hours on 140 degrees fan oven (which ill be using) To me this temperature seems too low and the time seems too long! I would typically do a 2.5kg crown for 2 hours on 160-180 fan. What do you think? Maybe the temp is low because it is in a bag and thus gets hotter I dont know someone please help!
  • bigmock
    helppppp please!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I can almost guarantee that the packaging will have the correct information on it will have been tested and tested before sale.
    If you test it with a skewer and the juices run clear it won't make you ill. Good luck
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Alye16
    Alye16 Posts: 281 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have used a bag before and am always surprised by how quick they cook.Have you got a probe to check its cooked if your not to confident in the bag? Remember to leave time for turkey to rest. Enjoy
  • Hi I have a probe but it cost about £1 from ebay so not sure how reliable it will be lol but will check if its cooked after 2 hours, what should the internal temp be?
  • If you are unsure of your probe then get some ice and crush it in a bag with a rolling pin and pour in to a cup, add a small amount of water an put the probe in, if it gets down to 1 c or lower then boil a small pan of water and turn to a simmer, if the probe reads 98c or over then its working fine.
    Turkey temp when cooked should be over 70c, preferably nearer 75c before resting.
  • Alye16 wrote: »
    I have used a bag before and am always surprised by how quick they cook.Have you got a probe to check its cooked if your not to confident in the bag? Remember to leave time for turkey to rest. Enjoy

What temperature do you cook it in the bag on? I am weary about doing it on 140 sounds too low to me or is it a low temp because the bag also steams the turkey?
  • If in doubt stick a sharp point (or knife) into the legs and keep cooking until the juices are clear, then take out of the oven to rest for a bit before carving.
    xx
  • bigmock
    Thanks im just going to follow the instructions although I hope its not overcooked being in for 2 and a half hours hmmmm
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    140 in a fan oven, in a bag will be well long enough. I don't cook my bird more then 160 and that's a whole bird

Don't forget to time it to come out the oven at least an hour before dinner. This will give it time to rest, and for you to whack the heat up for the roasties - they will need a high heat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure