Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Comments

• J_&_J wrote: »
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.:mad:
    My husband is 60 on the 17th of this month and got his bus pass in the post yesterday.
    So not sure about this.
  • MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Primrose wrote: »
    B & Q do a 10% reduction for pensioners certain days (need a card).
    Wyvale have a 10% reduction day if you sign up for a card.
    National Trust offer a pensioners subscription (need to ask for it)
    Hairdressers/barbers often offer cut price haircuts for pensioners on certain days.
    Entertainments often offer concession priced admissions for over 60's.
    And, of course, your free Bus Pass from your local council.
    Not quite right. Wyevale has been rebranded The Gardening Club. Anyone can get a card and earn points on purchases as well as benefiting from special offers. Points are converted to vouchers periodically and mailed to you to spend with them. Over-60s earn double points on Tuesdays. See http://www.wyevale.co.uk/GARDENING_CLUB/GARDENING_CLUB,default,pg.html

The B&Q 10% day is Wednesday, incidentally, as has already been mentioned.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Re the Boots one - on my 60th birthday a few weeks back I said to the girl in the city Boots shop, I shant have to pay for prescriptions from today and of course that led to her offering the over 60 Health Club discount. Well, she took my driving licence and filled in the form and said Id get the welcome pack which I would need to get them to actually set up the discounts for me on my advantage card.

4 weeks later and Ive still not got the welcome pack which would activate my discount :( Ive emailed them and they said it should be here any time but wouldnt you think they could set it up straight away as they have your advantage card details.

finsnan, surprised your OH got his bus pass when he isnt even 60 yet - the gestapo at our local council required proof positive of your birthdate and that you were over 60 before they would even take my application!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    30% off glasses at Specsavers; instead of BOGOf I buy a new pair each year, then I have spares.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I you live in Wales you can have free admission to sites run by CADW.

There wasn't a form for over 60s on the website, but I rang them up.

Welsh over-60s have had a free bus pass for years.

Has anyone mentioned the winter fuel allowance? £250 per household - regardless of income.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • misterjohn
    misterjohn Posts: 13 Forumite
    finsnan wrote: »
    My husband is 60 on the 17th of this month and got his bus pass in the post yesterday.
    So not sure about this.
    I am 60 on December 13th this year and will be eligible for my pass on September 11th 2011 according to the directgov site.
    I don't understand the logic at all.
    But the over60s railcard starts on the day you become 60, which is handy for my trip to London the next day.
  • I was 60 last week, my bus company (GMPT) sent me my bus pass 2 weeks before my birthday.
  • meldrew_2
    meldrew_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    hethmar wrote: »

finsnan, surprised your OH got his bus pass when he isnt even 60 yet - the gestapo at our local council required proof positive of your birthdate and that you were over 60 before they would even take my application!

Not sure whether it's a national policy but, here in Cornwall, you can make an application two weeks before your 60th.
  • sprokit
    sprokit Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post
    hethmar wrote: »
    Re the Boots one - on my 60th birthday a few weeks back I said to the girl in the city Boots shop, I shant have to pay for prescriptions from today and of course that led to her offering the over 60 Health Club discount. Well, she took my driving licence and filled in the form and said Id get the welcome pack which I would need to get them to actually set up the discounts for me on my advantage card.

4 weeks later and Ive still not got the welcome pack which would activate my discount :( Ive emailed them and they said it should be here any time but wouldnt you think they could set it up straight away as they have your advantage card details."....................

26th feb I was 60 and applied on line for the Boots over 60s to be added to my advantage card - the stuff arrived last Friday - with a slip to be handed in next time I used my Boots card - did so today and got 10% off Boots tablets.......not a great amount but in time it will add up (especially as I use their Boots No 7 makeup)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback