How do you lot keep yourselves motivated while in debt?

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I have a complex spreadsheet that I've set up covering the next four years including everything going in and out of my current account, and I set mini-goals like how much I intend to pay off in the next 3 months; I try to shave off an extra £10 or £20 here and there to put towards repayments. I watch the debt figures go down each month - that motivates me.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Be kind to yourself - you've made a big lifestyle change and deserve a pat on the back for that.

I started a scrapbook and glued pictures in that made me smile. It doesn't have to be things you want to acquire when you're debt free - just places, things, situations that make you feel better. It doesn't matter what it looks like, you're the only one who is going to see it.

So long as we are aware of our money and where it's being spent, then we don't need to focus all the time on our situation. It kills our creativity - lift your thoughts and who knows what ideas you may come up with to do something different.

You are not alone - promise. x
  • moongarden
    moongarden Posts: 478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    i would suggest when you have to move out renting somewhere with two bedrooms for around £500 and sharing with a mate.

i had my own place and was paying £350 plus around £190 bills per month and i have just moved into a flat share with a friend and am now paying £270 plus £100(max) bills

its a big difference

best of luck
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi there

To stay motivated keep logging onto this site - it's a real lifesafer. I've learnt so much, laughed at the jokes and had tears in my eyes at some of the stories esp Moozie's.

Don't be hard on yourself. Give yourself a big pat on the back. You are only 25 with your whole life ahead of you and already you have learned a very valuable lesson about money managing. Stick to your goals and you will reap the benefits.

In the meantime give yourself the odd little treat - they needn't cost much. A long soak in a nice warm bath, a few diy beauty treatments, a girly "night-in" with your friends, a good book (from the library of course), an uplifting or funny film always cheers me up - something fluffy like "Legally Blonde" or "Clueless" does it for me.

I've started sewing again and "making & doing" arty/crafty things - very relaxing and helps me stop worrying as much.

Don't know who posted it but the scrap book idea sounds great.

Best of luck!!!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    One thing that motivates me is just how MSE i am getting! Chuffed with my clubcard points, overjoyed with saving bits off bills here and there. Selling bits & pieces on ebay, and really excited about doing my car boot sale. It'll be a laff, day out, and might even pick up something for myself.

Ive found "getting real" a real help. When I went to cuba a few years ago people were so chuffed to be given half a bottle of shower gel or pens, or a nail varnish cos they are so skint they wouldnt ever be able to get these things themselves. I buy these things ( or I did) willynilly a nailvarnish here and there, £3 etc, and its SO wasteful. I didnt appreciate the value of money ( a £3 nail varnish takes half an hour to earn for example) but when I think back, to those days in cuba when a woman was in tears cos I gave her an ol primark vest top, I knew I had it easy. So that motivates me- A LOT.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    One thing that brings me out of my doldrums is to do something for someone else - even something tiny like help them with something, call them when you know they are having a hard time, anything that pulls me out of myself.

It feels really good to help others, and it reminds me that money is NOt the be-all and end-all, that haveing friends and life and love and family is so much more important, and it also reminds me that I HAVE friends and family who love and care for me very much, and that humbles me and makes me feel valued.

Blimey! I'm crying now!! Getting soft in my old age.

But honestly, it makes me realise how much I HAVE got, even if it isn't money, I have so much wealth in other things, and that pulls me through the dark times.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Marlee
    Marlee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Sorry I can't think of anything very positive to help, but I am just sending you a hug. Hold on, you can do it!

What did you spend the money on? Can you sell any of it?

At least you have learnt that money doesn't buy happiness. My husband and I have been married for 29 years, this anniversary I bought him a bar of chocolate, and he bought me a new plug for the washbasin because that was what I really wanted! (I broke the chain on the old one). My family have a rule, only do very small gifts. They have to be either useful, cosmetic and cheap, or edible.
  • Alfietinker
    Alfietinker Posts: 562 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just a quickie as I haven't got time to read the whole thread at the moment.

I'm 24 and have credit card debts - admittedly nowhere near as large as yours, and quite small by many peoples' standards, but large to me. I kept them secret from my husband for ages - he knew I had cards, but didn't know how much.

When I 'came clean' to him it was such a huge weight from my shoulders. I still owe money (debt free by July), but just having his support has helped so much when I feel down.

You said you didn't want anybody to know, but it could help to confide in somebody who won't judge you? My husband knows my 'me-spending' budget, and keeps an eye on me. He will stop spending money himself so I don't feel I have to keep up with him, if you see what I mean. He makes sure I've made my monthly payment, and checks how much to see if I've cheated.

It is hard, granted, and can feel like a bit of a prison sentance sometimes. Especially being so young. But the feeling that I will be debt free soon is worth all that.

Hang on in there!
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • Well done for realising that there is a problem - It'll take hard work to resolve but you'll have pleanty of time to enjoy afterwards - many people take far too long to admit there is a problem and spend their whole lives struggling with accumulating debt.

Good luck. Make sure that you reward yourself for positive progress on the way.
  • JollyNolly
    JollyNolly Posts: 375 Forumite
    IWILLSORTMYDEBTSOUT! - you're actually rather lucky (believe it or not) because you've had this experience whilst you are still young. There's loads to learn, and what you find out will be fantastic skills for the rest of your life. I've only really started to get to grips with money at a far more advanced age (I'm 327 next birthday) and I really wish I had started getting things sorted out much earlier. At this rate, I might just get things sorted before I retire. A big motivator for me is learning all the stuff I really had no idea about before - like using credit cards properly, paying off your debts before you start trying to put loads into savings, shopping around for cheaper mortgages, how to make your teabags last that bit longer, etc., etc.

If you use this site you'll find loads of people who are - or have been - in very similar positions to yourself, and will have plenty of advice to help.
    £2 coin savers club: £1.49
    Official DFW Nerd Club: Member no. 047
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family