Underactive thyroid and issues with weight.

Options
Before I was diagnosed as having an under active thyroid, I started putting on weight amongst other things associated with this thyroid problem.

My first 2 month blood test came back normal recently after starting to take thyroid medication. So am remaining on the initial does.

Has other suffers found ways to help lose weight, or at the very least to not put anymore on?

I have read on the internet that it can be a up hill battle, but would be good to have real life people offer their experiences.

Many thanks

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I got diagnosed with an under active thyroid two weeks ago and my doctor put me on 25 of levothyroxine. I have to get my blood checked at the end of May to see if it's working.

I am trying to do Weightwatchers at the moment and managed to lose 2 pounds this week.

There is a WW support thread on here if you want to join in.:)
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Before I was diagnosed as having an under active thyroid, I started putting on weight amongst other things associated with this thyroid problem.

My first 2 month blood test came back normal recently after starting to take thyroid medication. So am remaining on the initial does.

Has other suffers found ways to help lose weight, or at the very least to not put anymore on?

I have read on the internet that it can be a up hill battle, but would be good to have real life people offer their experiences.

Many thanks

Welcome to my world.
    It's an uphill battle, but loosing weight can be done but there are things you have to do.
    Exercise every day - whether its a walk or doing exercise DVDS, you have do so something every day.
    I cut out white flour, rice, limit white potatoes, limit oats, sugar and gave up on all cereals. Bread is my downfall, but I eat one roll a day and that's it for the day, no more.
    Join this website site www.myfitnesspal.com. It's free and there are many people who are like us.
    Monitor what you eat. I do splurge, but I know my limits. Pay particular attention to portion control, that is my biggest weakness. If I could only conquer my portion control that would lessen my problems with weight gain.
    I lost 24 lbs on myfitnesspal, I was very diligent in what I eat and working out daily.
    Once I reached my goal, some light bulb went off and I lost myself once again.
    Drinks lots of water, very important.
    One of the things I found is that if I eat my main meal by 5 p.m., the weight comes off easier, but that's for me, everyone is different. Good luck
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid more than 10 years ago. I gained a bit of weight before I start taking thyroid medication. I think that I gain weight easily during holidays when I eat a lot (e.g. Christmas maybe 1-2kg) that I don't loose afterwards. But I know that I am not motivated enough to cut down on chocolate. Saying that, when I was pregnant and I started cutting down on junk food and sweets, I lost weight. As far as I know you will gain weight only if you don't treat underactive thyroid. You can always discuss it with your gp next time you go for blood tests.
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gained 6 stone thanks to an under active thyroid :-( spent over a decade trying to get my thyroid fixed and I’m at the point where it’s as good as it’s going to get now. Still get unbelievably tired at the slightest exertion so exercise is out of the question, I have a limited amount of energy and I can’t spare it for exercise!

As far as losing the weight goes I’ve managed to shift 4stone 7lb but that’s being 100% strict at 1300 calories a day, no deviation or treat days or anything. You may find like me that your metabolism will always run slower than ‘normal’ no mater what thyroid meds you take, the only way to eke the weight off or lose it is to spend the rest of your life hungry :-( Wish I could offer better advice but that’s my reality.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering once the medication started doing its job, metabolism would start firing again, or doesn't it work like that?

I don't have an unhealthy diet and I do take exercise. It just wasn't making any difference and I was putting weight on, no matter what I did.

I'll certainly check out the suggestions people have made, as it is a concern. Just a shame the doctors can't really offer any help.
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My 3 yr old grandson has an underactive thyroid,was diagnosed when he was about 5 months old. Its a constant struggle trying to keep his weight down even though he doesn't over eat and is very active but its like a losing battle . Only thing we can do is keep trying x
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was wondering once the medication started doing its job, metabolism would start firing again, or doesn't it work like that?

QUOTE]

It does work like that for some. Some people take thyroxin and are back to normal relatively quickly. I know 5 others of varying ages with it and they're all fine, no metabolism issues. So luck of the draw unfortunately.

In America they prescribe people desiccated pig thyroid (which the NHS don't recognise as a treatment as it's expensive) because for some their body deals with the natural thyroxin better than the cheap synthetic form. You can get it over here but you'd have to pay to go private and they pay for private prescriptions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure