Ringwood- New Forest stay

We are a family of 4 going to stay at Ringwood near the New Forest in late July, our 2 daughters will be 8 and 4 when we go, always wanting to make the most of our stay I like to do my research early and make the most of our time there, we are planning trips to Peppa Pig world, Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch, also we want to spend some quality time in the New Forest, can anyone recommend some short scenic walks 2-3 miles in length?, also some good value for money eateries in the area, we are staying in Premier Inn with the all you can eat buffet breakfast so probably looking at places to go for an evening meal, thinking of having a visit to Salisbury on the way home too.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Shandy,

With children that age, Moors Valley Country Park is a fantastic day out. Just pay for parking, very good value and lots to do.
  • Parking does look extortionate £12 !!
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Shame you are not staying at the travelodge ringwood as we walked to Moors Valley from there (Although our kids were older than yours at the time).

It was a lovely country park -the parking does sound expensive but it is instead of entry fee. I would take a picnic though as food was the usual country park/national trust type prices.

We also enjoyed Beaulieu motor museum although your children might be a little young to appreciate it. For a free attraction with a nice short walk consider the new forest reptile centre in Lyndhurst.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Extortionate 12 pounds for parking, this is effectively your entrance fee. You can easily spend the whole day there fantastic play trail and train (which is extra). Have a look at trip advisor for reviews. Obviously you could just miss it altogether, and spend the time at the nearby beaches. However it really is worth it for an overcast day. Your holiday your choice, but you did ask for ideas.
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Poole - Poole park is OK, nice to park up at Baiter carparks and walk along to the main Quay, go past the old RNLI boathouse. Can cost but from Poole Quay you can get boat rides around the harbour, up to Wareham (up the river Frome) or out into Poole Bay, personally the nicest one i think is around the Harbour. The other option is ferry from the quay to Brownsea Island, ran by the NT, native red squirrels, nice place, you can do a full walk circuit round the island, take a picnic and its a good day out.

Personally I dont think that there is a lot else in Poole itself. Its gone a bit downhill these days. Outside of Poole, entertainment for the kids on a rainy day - Tower Park, cinemas, eateries, bowling etc (will be busy if school holidays, but as I said, rainy day option.

New Forest - Burley is a nice walk around, park up in the top carpark near the cricket pitch then head to the village but go past the church rather than the road. There are numerous carparks in the forest and many loop round walks. Lymington is quite nice down by the quay.

Bournemouth - walk down through the gardens, that can be quite nice, Oceanarium down by the pier, can be pricey but not too bad.

New forest - eateries and such, North of the A31 you will find the forest a bit quieter - there are some nice pubs there, i dont know how good the food is of late as not frequented them, but trip adviser will be a guide, The High Corner Inn i used to go to a lot, The red shoot was another good one., plenty of walks around there also and less people use that part of the forest so quieter.

Salisbury - this is a beautiful place, happily spend a day wandering around the main shopping bit, cathedral is pretty amazing and the whole cathedral precinct. There is a big supermarket (think its Tesco?) where massive carpark and always parking, from there its about 5-10 minutes into the very centre of town. Riverside wetherspoons for cheap family food, not a bad pub, more often quieter upstairs in seated area.

North of Poole - Wimborne - lovely little town, outskirts of it you have Badbury Rings, free parking and lovely old hill fort, there is also Kingston Lacy estate which can be costly getting in but really amazing gardens and house.

Further afield - Wareham, ancient walled town, invaded by Vikings going back a while, lot of town walls (earthen) still there and nice walk around, the quay by the river at the bottom end of town is quite nice.

Checkout Arne Nature reserve, I think its a car park fee (not a lot) and lovely walking, takes in bird sanctuary, beaches woodland etc, if you hang around on the beach facing round island and long island you might even get to see the resident Poole Harbour seals (think there are 2 again).

If you dont like the £12 Moors Valley parking (though it isnt bad for the layout of the place), then other side of the main road is Avon Valley park, couple of £ for parking, woodland walks, cafe, few other bits and pieces there.

Theres lots more but I figure that lot might take some sifting :) enjoy your holiday.
  • Wow thanks snow dog, Brownsea island sounds great, kids would love that, really looking forward to it now, it all sounds great.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Great post from Snow Dog with lots of ideas. Arne is one of my favourite places for a walk through lovely countryside and views across Poole Harbour that you don't usually see. I'd visit as part of a drive round the Harbour, Wareham, Arne, Corfe Castle, Studland and Shell Bay (better beach than Sandbanks/Bournemouth) and back to Poole across the ferry.

Another day out that way could be Monkey World.

All some distance from the New Forest though. Good places to go for short but scenic walks in the Forest: Tall Trees walk from Blackwater car park off the Ornamental Drive, or Bolderwood car park with signposted walks and a good chance of seeing deer.

A couple of pubs in the Forest that we've enjoyed for food recently are Red Shoot Inn and the Trusty Servant in Minstead.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another option to driving to Sandbanks, Studland and Swanage is taking the route 50 bus many of which are open top buses in summer.

The big advantage is that they pass the Sandbanks ferry queues which can be very long to get on the ferry first.
  • Snow_Dog
    redpete wrote: »
    Great post from Snow Dog with lots of ideas. Arne is one of my favourite places for a walk through lovely countryside and views across Poole Harbour that you don't usually see. I'd visit as part of a drive round the Harbour, Wareham, Arne, Corfe Castle, Studland and Shell Bay (better beach than Sandbanks/Bournemouth) and back to Poole across the ferry.

Another day out that way could be Monkey World.

All some distance from the New Forest though. Good places to go for short but scenic walks in the Forest: Tall Trees walk from Blackwater car park off the Ornamental Drive, or Bolderwood car park with signposted walks and a good chance of seeing deer.

A couple of pubs in the Forest that we've enjoyed for food recently are Red Shoot Inn and the Trusty Servant in Minstead.

The other pub in that area near the Red Shoot and the High Corner inn is the Alice Lisle, ate there a couple of times a year or so ago i think it was and its a nice pub and good grub.
  • Snow_Dog
    martindow wrote: »
    Another option to driving to Sandbanks, Studland and Swanage is taking the route 50 bus many of which are open top buses in summer.

The big advantage is that they pass the Sandbanks ferry queues which can be very long to get on the ferry first.

A very good point for the OP, traffic, whatever you do get your timing right, anytime in the summer trying to get into the purbacks after 10am can be a mare, the queue for the chain ferry can stack up for 1-2 hours on the sandbanks penninsula and the sandford road turns into a carpark. The same is true after 4pm going back.

Also, avoid the A31 around peak times, it can really snarl up around wimborne, ferndown and ringwood stretch.

Not sure if its already been mentioned but there is a nice theme park of sorts for younger children near Hurn airport, called Adventure Wonderland, really for smaller children. There is also a sort of aircraft museum there, think they have some interesting things like a Vulcan cockpit.

One other thing - if you are interested in historical places is Bucklers Hard in the forest - brilliant place where half the English Navy was built at one stage in history (think around henry 8th), and then up the road is Beaulieu which is nice, think someone has already mentioned the motor museum which has outdoor stuff for kids too like a monorail, but check prices as it is pretty expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure