WWYD? Wedding dress dilemma

I ordered my dress from a shop, start of october 2018, with a delivery estimate of 6 months from the manufacturer, left a deposit of half the total cost.

I then received a letter from the shop in december stating they have decided to close their shop however this will not affect my dress being delivered. I was a bit concerned at this stage but not much I could really do as they had said that all would be OK.

Fast forward to start of April just gone, which was the 6 month mark, I gave the retailer a week’s leeway before sending them a message on facebook to check up on whether they had heard anything yet. The only way I have to get in touch with them is via facebook message and email as their phone numbers are now disconnected. I left it a few days and after I didn’t receive a reply from them, I got a bit concerned and decided to contact the manufacturer directly and explain the situation to see if they could shed any light on the matter. Left my number with them and they said they’d get back to me.

The day after this, I decided to follow up my facebook message to the retailer to their email address and they did respond to this, saying that they had checked with the manufacturer and it should be due in week commencing 15th april and they’d asked to be notified when it arrived. So far so good.

However, today I have had the manufacturer on the phone responding to my query, stating that they have in fact had my dress since the end of March and have been trying to get in touch with the retailer. They’ve said they are willing to deal with me directly upon payment of the outstanding balance as they can't get in touch with them . So it seems that the retailer are for some reason not telling me the whole truth.

My options are:
1. pay the manufacturer the outstanding balance (incidentally a bit less than I would be needing to pay the no longer in existence retailer)
2. Contact the retailer again via email and tell them that I know my dress has arrived and ask why they feel the need to tell me fibs?
3. Contact the retailer again and just ask for an update?

WWYD?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Go with option 1 - get the dress first from the maker then moan at the now closed down seller.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Option 1
    2 & 3 are pointless
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Get the dress.
    You're still going to need someone you trust to fit it, so start looking around.

Hoping the day is happy & the wedding a long lasting sense of "this was a good call" at least 98% of the time.
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    How did the closing down business intend to get the dress to you?

Is the shop still open but closing soon or has it actually closed?

What you don't know is whether the shop has paid the manufacturer for the whole cost of the dress.

You could possibly end up paying twice if the shop insist that you still have to pay them even if you paid direct.

I'd pay the manufacturer & get a written receipt that you paid the outstanding balance plus confirmation that the shop doesn't owe them anything either.

I second finding a good dressmaker who is good at wedding dress alterations (that's not just any old tailor/dressmaker) & get them booked in for fittings etc.
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Option 1 for sure - 2 & 3 are just going to cause unnecessary stress and hassle for you. Get that dress in your hands and then if you still feel smarted by the company you can complain - although it wont have much effect i imagine.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    I am unsure how the shop was expecting to take the remaining balance for you if they have now closed anyway.

Good news that your order was still placed and your dress is ready! I was expecting the alternative outcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure