Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• srbuck
    srbuck Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    How about starting a thread for the over-50 discounts, too, please?
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget it is under attack along with age eligibility for state pension:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/budget/6772920/Budget-Elderly-lose-out-as-Government-cuts-back-on-free-bus-travel.html

Saga "holiday" credit card.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    B & Q do a 10% reduction for pensioners certain days (need a card).
    Wyvale have a 10% reduction day if you sign up for a card.
    National Trust offer a pensioners subscription (need to ask for it)
    Hairdressers/barbers often offer cut price haircuts for pensioners on certain days.
    Entertainments often offer concession priced admissions for over 60's.
    And, of course, your free Bus Pass from your local council.
  • robhac
    Options
    I've just received my Merseyside travel pass. I can use the buses, the Mersey ferries, ( if only they would stop playing that song), Merseyrail which can take me as far as Liverpool, Southport and Chester. Unfortunately Cheshire residents can't use their pass on Merseyrail.
  • J_&_J
    J_&_J Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.:mad:
  • 6459Jill
    6459Jill Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 April 2010 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Most theatres give concessions to over 60s. I recently tried to book War Horse on line. The cheapest ticket was £49. I went to the theatre direct and got a ticket for £35 and then £10 off for being an OAP. Always ask as they don't always advertise it
  • Frankl
    Frankl Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    B & Q do a 10% reduction for pensioners certain days (need a card).
    Wyvale have a 10% reduction day if you sign up for a card.
    National Trust offer a pensioners subscription (need to ask for it)
    Hairdressers/barbers often offer cut price haircuts for pensioners on certain days.
    Entertainments often offer concession priced admissions for over 60's.
    And, of course, your free Bus Pass from your local council.

Wyevale are now owned by a company called Garden Centres and no longer give a 10% discount. Instead they give double points on their new card on Tuesdays.
    National Trust only offer a pensioner discount if you have been a member for at least 5 years.
  • Lulu_2
    Lulu_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Focus do it all give a discount card to over 60s - think you get 15% off everything you buy.
    Normally 10% every day but ocassionally they send you a card which gives you 15% for a limited period:)
  • pasty_bill
    Options
    Nearly the end of the season but most football clubs give concessionary rates to 60+

Unfortunately at Plymouth Argyle you have to be 65. Maybe the reason they don't get many supporters?:(
  • penarthian
    penarthian Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you take advantage of the Orange Wednesday, 2 for 1 tickets at the cinema and combine this with the Senior Screen at the Odeon the total cost is about £4, plus you get free hot drinks and biscuits. I go to Cardiff Bay Odeon but I am assured most other Odeons have the same set up so you can combine the two offers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback